Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Steel vs BGE stone

RLeeper
RLeeper Posts: 480
Recently added an XL to the family and I'm looking to add another accessory. Debating on the baking steel vs the BGE 21 inch stone. Any recommendations? Thanks
Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA

Comments

• Do you already have a plate setter? If so I'd lean towards baking steel, if not I'd say pizza stone 100%. To me the stone is more versatile, but if you have a PS, some of that versatility is redundant. 

I'm sure there will be dissenting opinions, but that's my two cents.

Enjoy the XL, is awesome!

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited December 2013
    There was a huge buzz and big group buy of the baking steel like 6 months ago on here and I haven't heard a word or seen a single cook with one since. Not sure if guys aren't using them or just not calling it out but it has gone totally dark. 

I've seen caliking do a few comal cooks on his homemade version but that's all i can recall. 

Maybe some of the guys who bought them can chime in for you and let you know if they are using them or not

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RLeeper
    I do have the plate setter already. It came with my package. Good points...I'll look for those who bought it as well.
  • I was part of the Baking Steel group buy...I have both a ceramic pizza stone (not BGE) and the Baking Steel.  Now, I only use the Baking Steel on my pizza cooks, usually once a week.
  • I bought a baking steel during the group buy as well. I like it, but I bought it way too big (21" diameter), which prevents me from raising it the way I want to, or from using it in my oven inside. I really need to get it trimmed down. I thought I was being clever and getting more real estate, but it's actually a limitation. You may have the same problem with a 21" stone. If I had it all to do over again I'd still buy the steel but probably a 17" version. It does make great burgers, pizza, and cookies...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I grabbed a baking steel but have never cooked pizza on it because I haven't cooked pizza on my large yet. It's awesome as a griddle.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited December 2013
    I got a smaller baking steel as part of the buy so I could use it on my medium and my large.  It's awesome as a griddle like @Eggcelsior said, I just don't think to take pictures that early in the morning normally. I've tried it for pizza but I'm more of a thick crust person and it does conduct the heat so well it's really for thin crust quick cooks if you are doing pizza on it.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have the 21" stone for my XL which I received as a gift.  IMHO there is no need for a stone that big.  If I had everything to do over I would buy an adjustable rig and a stone maybe 18" (how big a pizza can you make?). I could then use it as a stone, and also in place of the place setter for indirect cooks including with a baking steel for pizza, etc. 

My son has a steel and I have used it in the oven, but not on the egg.  I am impressed with the steel, would like to have one of my own.  Some day
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • RLeeper
    Thanks for all of the input. Seems that those who have the steel like it and use it for more than pizza. I do like the idea of using it as a griddle.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I have the steel did great pizzas then drank to much and forgot it outside. I have to refinish it and Andris at baking steel called me and gave me advice and even offered to take care of it for me. Great customer service.
    Lynnwood WA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I like the 21" stone on my XL, if you are going to bake breads, cookies, etc the size is good to have. I can fit 2 boules side by side, 20 cookies with room to spare, etc. If you only want it for pizza, then yeah, no need for that big.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Pancakes anyone?

How about PB & J French Toast breaded with crushed Frosted Flakes?

I like sliders on the steel cooked with sautéed onions and pizza, but I don't have pix of those.  Oops!  I guess it never happened.  Never mind.

Flint, Michigan
  • RLeeper
    Yea I'm sold!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    double said:

I have the steel did great pizzas then drank to much and forgot it outside. I have to refinish it and Andris at baking steel called me and gave me advice and even offered to take care of it for me. Great customer service.

What'd you do to get rust off? I used some white vinegar and it worked OK but still need a little more love.
    Dunedin, FL
  • I set up the baking steel group buy. I have not used it for pizzas as I haven't made them on the egg since I bought it, however, like orhers have said, it makes for a phenomenal griddle
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    yzzi said:

double said:

What'd you do to get rust off? I used some white vinegar and it worked OK but still need a little more love.
    Here is the link he sent me run it off with a fine steel wool and re season as per the video.
    http://bakingsteel.com/season-baking-steel/
    Lynnwood WA