Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found a new (to me at least) trick for reverse searing

Options
Some of you guys may remember a youtube video where some guy gets his egg from zero-600 in less than 5 minutes or something. Well I remembered that part of his process was to put a metal tube on top of the egg to create an accelerated draft through the egg which heats it up crazy fast.

So, over the weekend I got some strip steaks and planned to do a reverse sear on them. I put them on the egg at 400 until 2 were 120 internal, and let the women's steaks get up to 135 internal. After pulling the steaks off the egg, I opened the bottom vent and turned my chimney starter upside down on top of the top vent (I didn't have a metal tube). It went from 400 to 750 (overshot my target) in about 30-40 seconds. Definitely adding this to my repertoire from now on.
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments