Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did a very basic roast turkey

Wanted to do a test turkey to see if Thanksgiving turkey on the Egg would be an option in my wife's eyes. She isn't big on smoked foods, so I did only charcoal, and it was mostly leftover from a previous run of doing a pork loin, so that the smoke flavor would be mild. Just a basic Harris Teeter Turkey (12 pounder), thawed, some salt and pepper on the skin, and that was it. I roughly followed the directions here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/17/dining/172TREX.html but I added some water to the drip pan for extra moisture, and when I let it rest I let it sit longer than 10 minutes.

Took about 3 hours and came out pretty good. I notice that one side was done earlier than the other ( I am glad I pulled the probe and stuck it in the other side), next time I need to do a full chimney of coals and make sure they are well scattered, I think one spot caught first and got going hotter sooner which pre-cooked that area. (it wasn't by the hinge, it was front left).  My wife was happy that it was a "pretty" turkey and that it was moist without a ton of smoke flavor, so it is definitely a go at this point for Thanksgiving which frees up the oven for other things. May try the Mad Max method unless my wife finds some other recipe she wants to try more. 

Comments