Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hoisin garlic Teriyaki tri tip on the salt block

Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
I froze the tri tips for about 30 minutes then sliced them into about 1/4" or so slices and put them through 2 cycles in the quick marinator food saver container and then sucked all the air out and left them in the fridge overnight in the vacuum. I used the Soy Vay brand Hoisin Garlic mixed with Very Teriyaki. I slowly warmed the stone up to 450-500 degrees and seared each side for 30 seconds or so. These come out so tender and the more that are cooked on the stone the better they turn out. You can see that some are darker than others that is not burnt that is the previous drippings reliquifying and adding more flavor. Only downside is my stone will need a clean burn.image.image

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Was the meat pre cooked then just reheated on the stone ? Looks like a great idea.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Lit

No it was raw when sliced and marinated. It cooks quick when sliced that thin. You have to give it a couple minutes between cooks for the stone to get back to temp but once to 450 they cook fast. If you don't want to slice it most Asian super markets have every meat you can image pre-sliced. My favorite on the salt block is an Asian market in Georgia Super H Mart carries Snake River Farms Wagyu meat and they have pre sliced rib eyes that I salt and pepper and sear for like 15 seconds a side and eat as they come off the egg. These are probably the best meay I have ever eaten.image

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've never heard of Salt Block cooking before, had to start googling. Now I have something else new to try. What size block do you have?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit

I have this one from sur la table. I had to cut the edges off for it to fit in my small eggs so I am guessing its like 12" by 6" or so. If you get one they key is to bring them up to temp slowly cause they will explode if thrown on direct heat when cold.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-687152/Himalayan+Salt+Plate

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Dayum man that looks outstanding.  Where did you find the SRF beef? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2013
    DMW said:
    I've never heard of Salt Block cooking before, had to start googling. Now I have something else new to try. What size block do you have?
    BGE, Himalayan Salt Block
    HIMALAYAN SALT BLOCK:
    I have had an 8x8x2 salt block since around 2010.  I use it on my small and after the charcoal is lit I place the block on the grid and let the two come to temp together. Usually 450-500, sometimes I will do shrimp and scallops after 400.
     Was always afraid that the heat shock to the cold block would break the block.
    I NEVER add any liquid to the block as it will make the cook salty as the liquid  releases the salt.
      Also if marinating, like a pork chop, in Italian dressing, I drain as much of the liquid off as possible.
     When doing anything like a chop or steak, there is no need to remove and rest 'til the temp comes down.  Just have a thermapen handy and the meal will be great!
    After the cook, I leave the block on the grill to cool down with the BGE.  I then used to take the block to the sink and rinse with water and a wire brush.  Figured out after a few times of doing this the block was slowly washing away.
    Now I just remove the block and for the next cook the top with the crude becomes the bottom and the stuff burns off during the next cook and the block is no longer washing away down my sink.
    It is a novelty item, helps keep the cook going when you normally would use direct for a steak or chop.  Adds a slight amount of salt if the meat is not very moist.
     Best answer just another toy!
    Recipe Type: Equiptment/Toys, Toy
    Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2013/05/25
    Himalayan Salt Block, How to use, Richard Fl
    There are 3 or 4 vendors out there.  I have an 8"x8"x2" that lives to cook on my small.  I would go for the cheeper model and make sure they will stand behind it if it eggsplodes within a month or so.  That has happened here once I know of and it was immediately replaced.  Probably some water in it.I place on my small direct and bring it up to temp with the egg 450-500F.  Used to let cool and wash in sink when I first got it a few years ago, now I just wipe with a wet paper towel when still warm, let it cool, rub with a wire brush when cool and the next time I cook the top becomes the bottom.  Also I store it in the house as the humidity here in Florida will slowly dissolve the block.  If it ever breaks I plan or grinding the pieces for table salt.
    Recipe Type: Help
    Recipe Type: Equiptment/Toys, Toy
    Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2013/05/25

• Lit

@smokeypitt the super h mart in Johns Creek. If you click the department boxes on the link they have pictures but they have a pretty good meat/fish selection and their produce is really good.

http://www.hmart.com/company_new/shop_store.asp?store_code=JSC