Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to Eggin' - Question about salt block vendors

Options
elkriver
elkriver Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all!  I'm a proud new owner of a LBGE and loving every minute of it.  I'll be returning to school in a few days which means every day cannot be treated like a Saturday.  My cooks will be dinner from here on out  with the long cooks happening on the weekends.  Just in time for college football.

I am considering a purchase of the Himalayan salt blocks available for cooking.  I've explored information on this forum and the web.  My question is the quality of the salt blocks from the different vendors.  The prices vary considerably for similar pieces/sizes.  The shipping fluctuates from 5 bucks to 30 bucks.
Can anyone give me a good references for a vendor?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    There are 3 or 4 vendors out there.  I have an 8"x8"x2" that lives to cook on my small.  I would go for the cheeper model and make sure they will stand behind it if it eggsplodes within a month or so.  That has happened here once I know of and it was immediately replaced.  Probably some water in it.
    I place on my small direct and bring it up to temp with the egg 450-500F.  Used to let cool and wash in sink when I first got it a few years ago, now I just wipe with a wet paper towel when still warm, let it cool, rub with a wire brush when cool and the next time I cook the top becomes the bottom.  Also I store it in the house as the humidity here in Florida will slowly dissolve the block.  If it ever breaks I plan or grinding the pieces for table salt.
  • elkriver
    Options
    Thanks, Richard!  I am a brand new poster to ANY forum.  You guys are great here and make everyone feel welcome.  However, I was beginning to think I didn't have the 'thread discussion mojo' to get a conversation going:).
    Alabama is my home and I have issues with humidity , too.  I'll take your advice on all fronts!  I've got a few placed in shopping baskets and will go back and make sure their policy is to replace/refund if we eggslodes.  Love the new terminology.
    Sounds like the salt block is a part of your cooking routine and not something that was fun for a while. 
    Just finished ribeyes and potatoes on the egg.  Will work on my picture/posting techniques!