Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asked to cook

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    henapple said:
    My neighbor asked me to cook tenderloin for his church men's meeting. He asked for 30 servings. I'm figuring around 10 tenderloins. I asked if he wanted to split it with pulled pork but haven't heard back. I'm figuring med rare and ftc. It'll cook while wrapped? Thanks.
    If you stuff the tenderloins you'll get a lot more mileage.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Idk... Just know people like it better.
    fair enough

I have all the stuff to do it. I've done it a few times and didn't notice a ton of difference. I assume I'm not doing it right

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mostly you're brining/marinating from the inside.  You can get the same effect with a long brine. 

That moisture and much of the seasoning runs out during the cook from the "abscess" you created through the holes you poked with the needle, and is wasted.  You can't actually increase the amount of moisture in the muscle cells, but you can add salt and that helps it retain moisture. I hear gelatin can actually add moisture (or make it seem more moist because it's really dry at 200F) if you inject.
    Options
    I've injected the last few pork butts that I've made using Chris Lilly's injection recipe. It just seems to take it up a notch. It's a little more moist and flavorful when freshly pulled, and for some reason, the leftovers seem to be way better. I really don't have to add anything to the leftovers when I warm them in the microwave and seem to get about the same taste without it being dry from the microwave.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!