Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple wing cook, made great - Thanks TJ.

Options
Skiddymarker
Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
@Tjcoley was my elf in the rub and sauce exchange. Today I tried the Wild Wild Southwest Mesquite & Coffee rub he sent on a dozen wings I found while browsing through the freezer. I thought this would be a "normal" wing cook. The rub made it a great wing cook. 

Overnight air dried in the fridge, dusted with 50/50 baking powder and corn starch and rubbed with the Top Secret Gourmet rub 1/2 hour before hitting the grid, raised direct at 375-400º for about 30 minutes. I think I could turn into @Griffin with rubs like this, in that wings might become a daily event. Enjoyed with a glass of Ricard's Red. 
Great taste and good choice TJ - Thanks again. 
Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    They look great. Glad you enjoyed the rub.
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great to me, but then again, a plate of wings always do. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Yummy Yummy, I love wings.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Nice job! I just got my egg last week, wings were my first cook. If only I knew to air dry them in the fridge first. O they were still good, but could have been crispier.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Tackman - welcome to the insanity, congrats on getting an egg.
    For chicken with skin, I rinse the pieces or whole bird, pat it dry with a paper towel, then a very light dusting of 50/50 corn starch and baking powder. Some use baking powder some use corn starch, wanting the best of both worlds I use equal parts of each. A powdered sugar dessert duster or very fine sieve works best. 
    If you over dust and it will not dry, a misting of oil often helps. Direct heat is your friend to get the equivalent of a crispy deep fried skin. Good luck
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Delish

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks. I will try this. Never thought to dust with a pastry sifter. Good idea.
    Cleveland, Ohio