Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats wrong with my butt???

Options

Nothing is really wrong with them, everything is fine, except the cook time.

I have done butts 4 times on the egg and today I am cooking a luncheon for the Manitoba Pork Council scheduled for 1130 am today and 1 butt for a friend.

This is the first cook that HAS to be on time the other were estimated and we will eat when its done.

I put 3 butts on at 730 last night. 8#,9#,10#. I have never had a butt go 2 hours per pound so I planned for 1.5 and if it did need more time I would just bump up the temp to finish it. Well the Maverick didn't wake me up all night and I did happen to just check the temp on the dome last night and it was at the 250 mark at 130 just like I left it when I went to bed at 1030.

I just woke up and all 3 butts are done. Dammit. I knocked all my vents down just to maintain a super low temp to hold them for a couple of hours, hoping the moisture in the EGG will be better than a dry oven.

I read about butts taking 2 hours per pound. Mine have never taken that route. ALL of my cooks have been around the 1 hour mark per pound. I know if I use this as a baseline for my cooks it will bite me in the ass at some point.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,870
    Options
    FTC for up to 6 hours is a very good option.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I know I am going to have to take that route. I am just going to leave it in the egg to hold as long as I can before going FTC.