Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foil or not to foil?

Options
jaysun29
jaysun29 Posts: 2
Help! Pros and cons? I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't. I'm an egg newbie. Gave her a test ride with ribs. Now want to do pulled pork

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    I assume you're asking about the meat, as opposed to say, some kind of a hat (not recommended). I'd give one of the turbo butt recipes here a try. Personally, I like @CharlieTuna's. it's an injected butt, turbo style. I like it a lot better than the low and slow version, and it helps that it finishes faster.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    That is one of those questions that you will get a lot of different answers on.  

I don't ever foil anything while it's cooking.  I like to keep everything as simple as possible.  I don't really get much benefit from foiling, so I don't do it.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

My best results have been with foil.  That said the more practice I get, the less I foil.  I look at it this way, if I was  purist BBQ pit master I wouldn't own an egg.  I have no shame, I use the tools that allow me great BBQ.   I own foil, use it, and I think it makes good ribs, great and darn good butts if you need to hold them.  If you can serve the butt off the fire, I'd skip the foil other then to tent for a rest after you pull off the egg.  Enjoy the bark...

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I agree with Greenhawk.  Unless it's some sort of time issue, I "avoid" foil recipes.  I wouldn't hesitate for a butt because the bark is not quite as important. 

The Egg just doesn't dry stuff out so it's unnecessary to me unless you want to speed things along.  It's not problem, just generally superfluous.  

An example: i was pressed for time, rushed my ribs and the texture wasn't right, too tough.  Foil would have solved that.  When I am not pressed for time, i intentionally don't use foil.