Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many spatchcock chickens on a large?

How many spatchock chickens (3 - 4 lb each) can you fit on a single grid on a large? Can you fit three?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If you find 3 don't fit, you can always try half-cocking them.  I.e. once you remove the keel bone, there is very little holding the two halves together, so you can cut them in half and just cook them as halves.  This gives you a little more flexibility in placement.
    The Naked Whiz
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I prefer to "half-****" them too. Much easier to handle on the grid since it doesn't flop around as much. You may be able to fit upto 4-5 if you have a 2nd level to cook on.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • +1 to TNW's comment.  I've fit 3 3-lb. birds on without half-cocking them, but there's no disadvantage to just cooking halves.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Fast and helpful feedback. Thanks everybody!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    caliking said:
    I prefer to "half-****" them too. Much easier to handle on the grid since it doesn't flop around as much. You may be able to fit upto 4-5 if you have a 2nd level to cook on.
    You are supposed to kill them before you put them on the grill.  :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I've been able to fit three small chickens on my MBGE as halves. We have even quartered them to make things easier to fit. As TNW says, half spatched is the best solution. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Once I did two 5 lb spatches on raised grid on my large.

Just pushed them pretty tight together, nose to butt (looked kinda dirty, but, hey!).

Worked well, and I will do it again.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon