Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Ribs Questions

Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
Some of the posts showing beef ribs look pretty good and I was thinking of making them for my next BBQ since several guests will not eat pork.  I have some questions:

1) At the store I saw beef back ribs on sale at $2/lb and they looked huge (i.e. each bone was longer than the longest rib on a rack of pork spares).  There were also beef chuck shorts for $4/lb.  What's the difference and which do I purchase for a low & slow set of ribs?

2) Do they require any prep or cooking technique different from pork ribs?  For pork ribs all I do is remove the back side membrane, add a little rub, and cook indirect for 5 hrs at 250* (no foil) and sauce at the end (typically at 325* for 10 minutes a mopping to crystallize it a bit).

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
·

Comments

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,483
    1) I prefer the beef back ribs, but it's just a preference. People usually braise short ribs.

2) The cook is essentially the same as pork ribs, but I find them harder to assess for doneness. But don't just cook to time. Cook to temp, or probing, or the bend test - or all of the above.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,818
    Get the chucks
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    The beef back ribs are the same as the ribeye ribs - meat is between the bone.  The short ribs, meat is on top of the bone.  Get the short ribs.  Way more meat to bone ratio.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/zen_of_beef_ribs.html

·