Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Urethane Flammability?

Options
So I have urethaned my table is this stuff still flammable when dry? What about fumes when it gets hot?
Seeing how alot of us have used it I guessing its safe once dry right???

Also the stock fire grate has fairly large holes where they made larger on the newer eggs? seems like it would take alot to clog them they re almost 3/4 inch each in diameter??
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sparks fly on mine (outer coat is spar urethane) all the time and I've yet to have it burst into flame.  Don't worry about it.  I wouldn't fire up the egg when the paint is still wet.

Options
    The main thing to remember is to respect the heat that the egg can generate.  The spar urithane's flash point is certainly lower when the urithane is dry, but it is still very flammable.  We have had members here post pictures of serious table failures when this respect is forgotten.  Most of us eggers like to indulge in a drink or two while working our butts off egging, and it is sometimes easy to turn your back on the egg's heat.  Too bad there isn't a product that we could put on our tables to firerate them beyond the eggs heat generating capabilities?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm sure it will be fine

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Polyurethane has a higher flash point and autoignition temperature than wood.  Your table isn't going to be any more flammable with with a few coats of spar varnish on it (assuming the paint is dry).  Plus, that finish is just a few mils (thousands of an inch) thick. 

I have a few burn marks on my table where embers fell (as I blasted it with a leaf blower).  ;)

That said, wood tables are flammable.  You need an air gap between the egg and the wood.  If you're drunk all the time like CT (see above), you might want to purchase or fabricate a non-flammable table from metal or stone and keep that away from the kid's bedroom on a cement slab or deck.  :))
    Options

Hey noleegghead,

I didn't say i was drunk all the time!!!  But after considering the consequences of owning a flammable table surface ----  i went with a nest, over aconcrete slab.  If your gonna be drunk all the time, you have to start early in the morning!!! 

• nolaegghead
    Options

Hey noleegghead,

I didn't say i was drunk all the time!!!  But after considering the consequences of owning a flammable table surface ----  i went with a nest, over aconcrete slab.  If your gonna be drunk all the time, you have to start early in the morning!!! 

HAHA....I meant CT as in Cen-Tex's burnt table....If it was easy to stay drunk all day, everyone would do it!