Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side Dishes Ideas

So I have some clutch cooks in my back pocket that everyone seems to love:

- Peppered Stout Beef

- Santa Maria Tri-Tip

- Clays' Pulled Beef

- Spatch Chicken

Etc. ETc.

Anyway, outside of ABTs (which are really an appetizer) and grilled veggies (corn, etc) I don't reaaaaallly have an egg'd side dish. Well I guess smoked mac and cheese.

So what sides do you do on the egg?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Just lately someone posted about "grilled cabbage"!  You basically quarter a head of cabbage, cut out the core, add a couple of pre cooked bacon strips, a little olive oil and garlic salt, wrap in foil!!  Came out good, every one liked it!  Cooks along with most other cooks, without burning up..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    zuke and yellow squash casserole with cheese and tomatoes, potato au gratin. oil up those mushrooms that look like tree bark, heavey on the rub and hot and fast til the edges get crunchy.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Did some grilled artichokes the other night and they were fantastic. Also recently did some grilled sweet potato slices which were great too. Grilled pineapple rings with some DP Pineapple Head.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    roasted beets and roasted fennel root for something different
    fukahwee maine

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    I love grilled sweet potatoes.  We take the longer ones (not the round ones) and quarter them into some long strips.  Lightly rub some crisco (other oil would probably work well too) and season. Then grill flesh side down at first then flip to skin side down.  YUMMY!!!
  • fishlessman
    dont remember what i did with these stuffed onions, maybe apple but they had potential. another side thats good is cheesy mashed taters cooked on a cedar plank, actually good cooked on a gasser while other stuff is getting done in the egg.yep apple

fukahwee maine

• I did some Acorn Squash a little while back. Baking dish with about 1/4 inch water in the bottom. Lightly oiled squash, added salt & pepper, 1 TBS butter (or So), a little brown sugar and honey. roughly 40 minutes at 350 and voila... Also looks nice to serve!!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Twice baked potatoes... did along side other stuff and stuffing to rebake was very easy and quick in the middle of a low and slow.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Another way to do an onion is to quarter a large onion and put a tbsp (or more) of butter between each quarter. Press the quarters back together and sprinkle your favorite spice or rub on top (we often use garlic powder). Wrap the onion in foil and just set it on the grid for 20-30 minutes (just a guess here) at 350 or so.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Grilled potato slices - 1/4 inch slices of baking potato, a little oil, S/P and throw on the grill. Bacon cheese fries - bake frozen fries per instructions, cover with cheese and sprinkle with bacon. Grilled pineapple slices, tater tots or sweet potato tots (wrap in bacon for an appetizer) Maple glazed sweet potato slices or chunks.
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    For Father's Day i did a couple of spatchcocked chickens and cooked them over speghetti squash and butternut squash.  They said it was the best squash they ever had!imageimageimageimage
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    I did 6 smoked cabbages for a family reunion. Just cut the core out add a half stick of butter and some spices and wrap in foil. Indirect at 250 to 300 for 4 hours. It was great.
    Duncan, SC
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I am pretty obsessed with asparagus as a side dish.  I go with the thinnest I can find.  At the most basic, slathered in Italian Salad Dressing is fantastic.  I almost could not eat a steak for a while without prosciutto wrapped asparagus (see pic)image
    Lately, I have been wrapping the asparagus in buttered phyllo with zesty chili seasoning and it is a new favorite!
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Did a side of lobster tails to go with the filet for Fathers Day. I guess that really doesn't count as a side.
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013

I like spaghetti squash with butter and pepper.

photo DSC_0075-4.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    where have i been, theres a vegatable section on this very site with 60 entrees..hahahaha i never noticed that before
    fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My standard is pre-Egg. Foil root veg pouches. Quartered spuds, (or smaller depending on the size,) some garlic slivers, onions wedges, carrot pieces, in olive oil w. S&P. Maybe some thin wedges of rutabaga. Cook till oil in the pouch is sizzling. Can be done direct, or indirect beside some meat. If there is time, open pouches, and let the veg brown for another 20 min.

Being in pouches, the result is hard to guarantee. But when just right, enough surface gets browned or blackened for a great taste, and the rest is delightfully soft.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935

@allsid, I am liking the asparagus ideas.

@fishlessman, interesting idea. cheesy potatoes on a plank... hmmm.

The thing that I realllly want to try on the baking steel I got is hashbrowns... loaded hashbrowns.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited June 2013
    Roasted beet and mango salad.

Cold mango, hot beet and some pecans on a salad.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Smashed potatoes would probably work on baking steel.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/

I don't boil them.  I just nuke them in the microwave until soft and then smash them.  They are our new favorite potato.  If you get them right, they are crispy outside and soft inside with just the right ratio of crispy to soft.  They do very well with fresh rosemary from the garden.

Zucchini is a good, easy cook as a side dish as well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Tailgate Taters

Bake potatoes, cool and cube.
    Cube velvetta cheese
    Mayo
    Bacon bits
    Mix, casserole dish, bake till cheese is melted and top is crispy.

Add green, red peppers, onions,...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    the trick to the cedar smoked potatoes is to let the mash setup overnight in the fridge and cook the next day

baked rellenos is a good side, just more prep

fukahwee maine