Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked my brand new egg! Still useable?

Options
Ok, so here's my sob story: I finally bought my first egg a couple of weeks ago. This past weekend I had the egg out, sitting on the concrete patio, getting ready to set it down into the table I had built for it. I lifted the lid and took out the firebox and ring to make it a little lighter to life and as I turned to softly set down the fire ring, a big gust of wind came and, with the lid open, was enough to cause the egg to tip over. I turned back around and tipped the egg back to a standing position and saw a hairline crack running most of the vertical length of the base (was visible both inside and out) and another hairline crack running vertically along most of the vertical length of the dome (not visible on the outside, though).

It was horrible. I feel ashamed and sickened even admitting the travesty that befell my house this past weekend.

So, I know the warranty doesn't cover operator stupidity. And, dang it, I simply can't lie to 'em to try to get a replacement (though that has been the advice of most of my 'friends')

Any advice?

I figure I can still cook with it, but will a small crack like this quickly become a bigger crack?

And, I know, from what I can tell through hours spent googling 'how to fix broken big green egg' JB Weld is the fixit for broken eggs, but most of the discussions/photos I've seen involve eggs that have huge cracks (or chunks that have fallen off).

Have attached some pictures. The crack on the outside of the base is tough to see in the picture (kinda tough to see in real life, too)

Thanks all.

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and really sorry to hear about your tragedy.  But rest assured that since you're an honest person, things will work out.  I would use the JB Weld if I was in your shoes.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    Options
    Oh that is sad...my sympathy goes out to you and your egg. JB Weld is probably the way to go, maybe cover with fireplace cement.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This just makes me sad. I would have cried...and then cried some more. You can cook on it for a while but it's just going to get worse. Jb weld won't help in this case. The crack will still grow. I would hate for you to have a failure and burn your table down.....or worse. I've seen guys on here who put metal bands around their bases with cracks in them. Kind of like the bands you see around pallets of boxes or something like that. If you are going to try to keep it all together, I recommend trying that just to be safe. I'm sure someone will pop on with a pic for you. I searched and couldn't find it. Really bummed for you man. Sucks.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Contact your insurance company.  You are dealing with wind damage.  Although your deductible may be high enough that you won't have any real recourse there.

Sorry for your loss.
  • Egghead123SC
    Options
    Check with your dealer--maybe he will sell you a replacement dome and base at his cost.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    As stated above-  honesty is the way to go.  I would go back to your dealer and tell them your story.There is a large mark up in these eggs and maybe they can help you out with a steep discount on egg #2.  I know I have spent way more at my dealer on lump, accessories, rubs etc over the years than my egg cost. Throw yourself at their mercy and ask if they will sell you a new one really cheap. They would even come out ahead if they sold you one at or near cost. I would offer to load up on supplies while you are there as a sign of good faith. Can't hurt to try. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2013
    Options
    may even be worth contacting the mothership explaining it to them and perhaps they may have some customer goodwill even if they ship one at cost to your dealer for you. never hurts to ask  

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Sorry that happend, I'm renovating my kitchen and there was a drop right on top of a new slide in induction range. The thing is $2500+ and the glass top and venting got busted up.

It hurts, range works but I can at least replace the glass top and almost be back to new.... Almost

My dad is primarily responsible for the drop but hey.... Crap happens.

Weld it up my mini base has been working with crack for 5 months or so. I think the key is no movement and make sure you are in a spot that is non flammable in case it cracks during a cook.
    Seattle, WA
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    man I'm sorry to hear that.  Looks like some good advise in this thread though.  Good luck.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    I broke my dome a few months after I got mine - fortunately I live within an afternoon drive to ATL to the mothership. I told them what happened (stupid mistake by me), and they gave me a great price on a replacement dome.  So call your dealer or the mothership - they're great folks up there. 
    Opelika, AL
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    Options
    It awful that this happened to you and I really feel for you. I applaud you for being honest though. I rather live in a world where everyone felt obligated to be honest. Anyways good luck with it
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    I would try what has already been recommended to you here. Try for free replacement or at cost. Worst case, you 'may' have an insurance claim on your hands. I don't know you're deductable is, but it might be cheaper then your other options. You have wind damage, but since you were moving it, that is kind of working against you in an insurance claim.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

We had a hail storm last year, didn't damage the Egg itself, but stredded the little redwood shelves on the sides.  The fold up ones.   Insurance company replaced them.

Cookin in Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You have nothing to lose by calling the mothership, explaining what happened and see if they have any way to help you out. or try your dealer as suggested above. And call your insurance company as well. Its pricey enough to replace, that a little legwork may be well worth it. The worst they could say is no/sorry can't help ya... and then you're no worse off than you were to begin with. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Yep, all of the above.. 1st call motheregg, 2nd insurance, third JB weld.  One or all may work.  BTW...OMG sorry, so sorry.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    When you guys mention insurance, homeowners covers accidental damage you caused to your stuff?
    How does this work, it may be handy for me and my range debacle.
    Seattle, WA
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    Sorry for the accident.  I can certainly feel your pain.  This is definitely a good lesson to us all, though.  An empty Egg, especially not on a nest or table, is an unstable thing, especially with the lid up.  I've noticed this myself.  Next time I'm moving my Egg or cleaning it out, I'll definitely have someone else around to make sure humpty dumpty doesn't go for a fall.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    When you guys mention insurance, homeowners covers accidental damage you caused to your stuff? How does this work, it may be handy for me and my range debacle.
    You'd need to check with your agent or carrier to see what your particular coverage you have but, in general, yes, self-inflicted accidental damage should be covered. There's probably a deductible though so it may not be worth filing a claim.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    This is the worse feeling in relation to the egg I have ever had. I was replacing my gasket and after tightening(at least thinking I did) the upper band(readjustment) I lifted the dome and it just kept going, cracking into 5 pieces on the ground(it was in a nest). It was like losing mt best friend.

My condolences.