Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Highest Temp Reached on your BGE???

Options
I was grilling three ribeyes the other night.  I wanted to get a really high heat to sear the 2" thick aged ribeyes I got from the local butcher.  So i opened the bottom vent all the way and took the top off, after about 20 minutes the needle stopped at about 750.  I threw the steaks on, had it going for 2.5 minutes and flipped them and the needle spun around to 1200 degrees.  Anyone had their needle spin back around, what were you cooking, and how was it???

By the way the steaks 2.5 minutes per side and rested for 20 minutes.  I put some montreal seasoning and a little olive oil (might have caused the flames), and the steaks were unbelievable.  A nice crust and perfect inside!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dunno my thermo only goes to 1000* Been at 400* after one cycle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGerAllanPoe
    Options
    The first time I cooked on the Egg I watched the instructional video and followed their instructions for lighting the egg. I lit the egg, left the bottom vent and top wide open. Ten minutes later I walked outside and saw flames shooting out of the top. I looked at the thermometer on the egg and it was at 200 Degrees. I closed every vent and it cooled off to around 600 degrees about 10 minutes later. It had wrapped around that quick. 

Lesson learned. 
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    Options
    I've wrapped mine around to 200F doing clean outs before, not hard to do when the firebox is full of lump.
    Rochester, MN  --- Large BGE
  • Gemini5936
    Gemini5936 Posts: 1
    Options
    The first time I cooked on the Egg I watched the instructional video and followed their instructions for lighting the egg. I lit the egg, left the bottom vent and top wide open. Ten minutes later I walked outside and saw flames shooting out of the top. I looked at the thermometer on the egg and it was at 200 Degrees. I closed every vent and it cooled off to around 600 degrees about 10 minutes later. It had wrapped around that quick. 

Lesson learned. 
    I hear that...my first time lighting my BGE, the temp gauge rose really slowly but i knew i had to keep it under 350 w/ the seals and all.  So i came back about 10 minutes later and it was slowly creeping to about 325, so i opened the lid and it had to be 900.  The seals all the way around had melted to a liquid and the thermometer had stuck at 325 and when i shut it, the gauge rocketed to 900.  BGE corporate sent new seals the next day and i'm good to go!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've had the thermo wrap around the 700 degree mark and settle in at 500. Probably close to 14 or 1500 degrees. Amazing you can get an Egg that hot, yet do a low and slow at 250 for 24 hours. That's what I like most about the Egg.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    When mine gets that hot, I pull the thermo out, I don't want to know......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I've buried my 200*-1000* Tel-Tru countless times.  Never even phases the Rutland.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

I just got Rutland for all my eggs. Hope to get some installed this weekend (Since I won't be at an

Eggfest) 

Steve 

Caledon, ON