Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some dinner (chicken breasts) help!

frankc623
frankc623 Posts: 168
I pulled a few boneless chicken breasts out of the freezer this morning for dinner tonight. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should prepare them? I could go the typical route of dusting them with some rub then grill'em, maybe add some BBQ sauce at the end, but that's getting old. Looking for some new ideas!
L-BGE | Westminster, MD

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Chicken fajitas are always popular at our place.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    You can cut a pocket in them and stuff some cheese or cold cuts in there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    short marinade in lime lemon garlic and vinegar, in a skillet on the egg at 400 untill starting to brown, add lemons and limes and finish the cook
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147383/some-more-diet-cooks#latest
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Butterfly them out flat and marinate them with your favorite poultry rub and Italian dressing. I use TXBBQ rub on mine. The cook more evenly when butterflied. I did some last week and used them for fajitas but you can just about use them for anything. I made a Caesar salad with the leftovers.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I typically will use my foodsaver jars, and whatever marinade I chose that day. Seal it up and let sit for a little while in the fridge. Then get a nice hot fire going and sear them. Once seared, pull them and tent while setting the egg up indirect to roast. Place the breasts in a CI or ceramic baking dish, pour a can of beer in and cover with foil. Let come to desired temp (for me usually 150) then pull and rest for 5mins. Juicy as hell, and never overcooked. Fork tender.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Are you using any type of wood chips/chunks with that?   Sometimes just changing up and using a different wood can bring a different flavor.  We did a little bit of mesquite over the weekend and really enjoyed it.  We dusted it with a garlic/onoin/paprika rub.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• frankc623
    Thanks for the ideas guys, they all sound great! I'll run these idea's by the wife and see what she would prefer.

@fishlessman - Those pics in your thread are great! I'm going to pick up some lemons and limes this weekend and give that a try. 

@michigan_jason - how long do you marinade the chicken in the fridge? 

@SWVABeanCounter - I wasn't planning on using any wood for this cook...i ran out last weekend! I have to pick some more up for this upcoming weekend. 

Do any of you guys ever use corn tortillas for fajitas? I normally use flour tortillas but I'm not sure if we have any at the house.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Nothing wrong with using corn tortillas at all. I actually prefer corn to flour but usually use the flour for fajitas.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    how do you warm them? wrap in foil and throw it on the egg for a few minutes?
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    I usually wrap a stack in some damp paper towel and microwave them for 30-45 seconds but foil wrapped in the egg should work too.
    SWMBO requestes souvlaki at least every couple of weeks. Cut up the breasts, thread on a skewer and marinate for at least a couple of hours. For each 10" bamboo skewer:
    1 clove garlic crushed
    2 Tbs EVOO
    1 tsp lime or lemon juice (she prefers lemon)
    1 tsp ground pepper
    1 tsp oregano leaf and or marjoram leaf
    dash Wooster.
    Grill direct. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    If you want to change it up go with a coconut curry sauce- you cand find a lot of recipes on the web. My wife really likes this one http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/05/grilled-thai-coconut-curry-chicken-guest-post-with-jeanettes-healthy-living.html
    Greensboro, NC
  • frankc623
    Thanks for all the ideas, we ended up going with fajitas...they turned out great!

I used Dizzy Pig Fajitaish rub for the peppers and onions and 3 EYZ BBQ rub(local product) for the chicken.

Sauteed the peppers and onions in the CI, then cooked the chicken at around 450-500 for about 7-10 minutes then let it rest for about 15 minutes. I made a cilantro, lime and sour cream sauce to go on top! The chicken will make great leftovers for lunch!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    They look pretty good. Your sour cream sauce sounds tasty!
    Thanks, the sauce was pretty good...refreshing
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Looks tasty.  You definately made the correct choice.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014