Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Belated Birthday Cook

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
It was my birthday on the 14th, my sister's is on the 21st. She visited this weekend so that we could celebrate together. My cousin happened to come visit this weekend as well. What to do? Why cook and have a party of course!

Fired up the eggs on a beautiful Saturday morning in Houston.

Menu for the day: clobble balls for the appetizer,which are kinda like moinks but use frozen chicken teriyaki meatballs from Costco, wrapped in turkey bacon. Dusted with Plowboys Yardbird, a touch of Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust, a wee bit of gruyere, and Blues Hog Honey Mustard sauce.

The large was setup for 2 humongous racks of spares (7.5# each) the lid almost didn't close. Setup indirect, 325°Fish on the dome, about 3hours. Rubbed with Smokin Guns Hot onthe bone side, and SM Sweet & Spicy with Peppered Cow on the meat side. Untrimmed, membrane on. 

Also did a spatchcock chicken rubbed with plowboys The Jerk (SWMBO's fav rub I think). The CI skillet has the chicken gizzard, heart, liver etc rubbed with SM Cherry and some Habanero Death Dust.

Lunch was a nice simple salad with romaine hearts tomatoes and a white balsamic vinaigrette that SWMBO whipped up, wild rice, chicken, and ribs. SWMBO also made a spectacular chocolate stout cake with dark chocolate glaze that was to die for. The weather was finally warm enough that we could jump in the pool. I don't know how to adequately convey what a great day it was - family, food, bbq, adult beverages (Belgian brews for me), and great tunes out by the pool. I guess more pictures would have helped, but I sort of forgot to take more. 

Anyways, it was a great birthday celebration and we ate well. Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    caliking  Happy belated birthday looks good ,mine was the 17th did prime rib yesterday 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My kind of day. We were in the pool all Afternoon yesterday. Today is a crazy cook day with a little sippin' and pool time all rolled in :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Happy belated b-day! Looks like a flavorful feast! How'd you like the Sweet&Spicy/Peppered Cow combo on the spares? So far, I've only put Peppered Cow on brisket and really like it but hadn't thought to use it like you did.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I hope you had a Happy Birthday the party is better late than never...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Happy Belated Birthday!  Gorgeous place, cooks and photography. I'd pick what's in the CI over the bird itself though!  Love the idea of halving the chicken for strategic placement along the edge over direct heat.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @bigphil: thanks, and a belated happy bday to you too. Sounds like you celebrated in style. I'm yet to cook a prime rib. Any pointers?

@CT: yep thats a good day for sure.

@R2Egg2Q: thanks! I really like all of the Simply Marvelous rubs. The Season All is my least fav since it is basically seasoned salt, but it has its uses. The peppered cow was great on ribs.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @caliking was the first one i did as well i went indirect 300 dome till a internal of 145 used raising the steaks as a rub heres the link if you wanna have a look . turned out fairly good and was mighty tasty 

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Mighty fine looking cook right there!!  Good job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    Happy belated. That looks incredible, especially those clobbe balls
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks for the bday wishes everyone.

@bigphil: I would like to try that sometime. Sounds terrific. Nice cook!

@Canughead: SWMBO loves the chicken bits, so that was her special treat.  

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Looks great all the way from Round Rock. Hope you had a great birthday.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Happy belated birthday! Looks like a great way to celebrate with family and a great meal by the pool! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Man what a meal! Happy Birthday

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Happy b'day bro. Looks like you had it all set out and looks great. Why turkey bacon? Your sis?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    Options
    @Aviator: turkey bacon to make a lower fat snack. We're all trying to lose some weight and be healthier. They tasted damn good... no leftovers :) Thanks for the bday wishes.

@RAC: Thanks! 

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Happy birthday! Looks like a great party with great food.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts