Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Putting out the Lump after cooking?

Help. Smoked some ribs last night and closed up the XL Egg. This AM I was cleaning up putting racks away and stuff and the coals and wood were still smoking. Everything was sealed up as normal. Only thought I had is that I used more wood to finish he bag and dumped the rest of my lump (dust) in the egg. I put a rag under the ceramic top to try to get a better seal. Any other thoughts? 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    You've gotta pee on it after ribs. Old summer camp campfire style.

XLBGE 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2013

=))

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I bet it was the wood.  Can't think of any other reason.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Gotta be an air leak to keep it going with lower vent shut and ceramic dome on.  Check for gasket leakage-"dollar bill" test it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Either the lump came with its own air supply or there is a leak, I'm betting on the air leak like @lousubcap says. It can't burn if it can't breathe. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Check the lower vent. My small shut down quicker after I applied some silicone around it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrDave
    MrDave Posts: 13
    Thank for that tip. It has not happened since. I am guessing that the fire was banked as someone else suggested. My bottom vent is a little stiff (screen and door slide together) I will lubricate them. I under stand your silicone fix but if the door is not closing maybe the lube will fix it. Thanks. I see from your pictures you have a small and a mini. How do you like and use the mini?
    Dave
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @MrDave: I'm still learning how the mini works, but I think its a terrific little cooker. So far it has been the weekend breakfast cooker. :)

Wrt the silicone, I used silicone gasket around the vent, not in the tracks for the sliding parts.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.