Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Eggfest Pork Chorizo

Options
egger ave
egger ave Posts: 721

John’s Texas Eggfest Pork Chorizo Sausage (makes about 2-1/2 lbs)

Ingredient List:

2 dried Ancho or New Mexico Red Chile Peppers

2lb of Ground Pork

6 oz of Salt Pork

8-10 cloves of garlic, peeled 

1 TSP of ground black pepper

½ TSP of Cumin

½ TSP of Oregano, I use fresh but dried will work

3 TBS of Ancho Chile Powder

1 TSP of Cayenne Pepper

1 TSP of Cinnamon

1 cup of water – I use the water from hydrating the peppers

2 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar

Making the sausage

Cut the stem off the peppers. In a small sauce pan, boil one cup of water and the peppers for about 5 mins until the peppers are soft. Turn the heat off and let the peppers and water cool for 10 mins.

Add the garlic cloves, spices, the peppers, salt pork and ¼ cup of water into your food processor. Blend until the ingredients become a paste.

Place the meat, salt, pepper, vinegar, the remaining water from cooking the chile’s and the paste in a large bowl and blend by hand.  

I store the sausage in a ziplock freezer bag overnight and cook the next day. This is gives the spices and ingredients to blend.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This chorizo was world class. Best I've ever had.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Cant wait to try this
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Looks very similar to the Homesick Texan's recipe, but with the addition of the salt pork.  Like Austin Egghead said in your other thread, I'll add that to my next batch.  I didn't get a chance to try it at the Eggfest, because I was more bloated than normal.  Looks good.  Another good chile to use is guajillos.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Looks very similar to the Homesick Texan's recipe, but with the addition of the salt pork.  Like Austin Egghead said in your other thread, I'll add that to my next batch.  I didn't get a chance to try it at the Eggfest, because I was more bloated than normal.  Looks good.

@Village Idiot, I have been testing Mexican Chorizo recipes for at least a year and have tried several of them. I added cinnamon, salt pork and cut the water by 50% and used the water and seeds from the hydrating the peppers. If you use the salt pork, I don't add additional salt. If you can find Mexican Oregano try it. It's bit stronger than the run of the mill variety Oregano and I love it. I have also added finely ground fresh Cilantro to a couple of batches. I liked it, SWMBO not so much.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein