Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleanup EVOO stains from brick patio ?

My patio is cement tumbled pavers, had a landscaper install it a few years ago. I have a few stains on the patio from  EVOO drips / spills from marinade bags and had a plastic bowl with EVOO in it get blown over that made a real mess. Any suggestions on products or methods to try and clean up the "oil stain"  that it has left ?    

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Poor some cornstarch on it to see if it absorbs it. How fresh is the stain?
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I've never tried it for EVOO on pavers, but back in the day when my mom blew a gasket cause my car did on her new driveway, I used carb cleaner on the cement, and a stiff brush.  Worked like a charm there.

** Disclaimer: I do not know if it will discolor\harm pavers. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

If it's fresh I would first try liquid dish soap, scrub brush, and water.  Scrub vigorously.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to look into TSP or muriatic acid. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Sam's Club sell a product called "Heavy Duty Degreaser" , comes in a one gallon plastic bottle and is designed as a concentrate.  I use it straight out of the one gallon container,poured in a spray bottle for any grease drips on my concrete slab.  Spray it and let it sit for ten minutes, hose it off!!  It almost looks purple in the bottle. Costs about six bucks a gallon.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Simple green?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    If you get the stain up you might consider a sealer. H&C make a good product. Sherwin Williams.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Be careful with muriatic acid on your pavers - may cause discoloration or staining.

Public service announcement: please be VERY careful with stuff like heavy duty degreaser and other caustics if you have children at home. DO NOT STORE THESE CHEMICALS IN ANY TYPE OF FOOD CONTAINER (Gatorade/juice/soda/water bottles). I know a teenage girl who took a swig of degreaser recently and will likely lose her esophagus and stomach as a result of that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    The Zep orange clean from Home Depot works on concrete. Don't know bout pavers. They are pretty porous

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    hd sells stuff just for this but dont know how well it works
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203450273?productId=203450273&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=203450273&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203450273&ci_gpa=pla#.UXgR9coyukY

i might try this first and if it doesnt work add some vinegar to it to get it fizzing
    this is a skunk smell remover and it works like oxyclean to lift the skunk oils

In a plastic bucket (not metal), mix the following ingredients thoroughly:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (Ivory is recommended)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Let us know if you find something that works - I had a similar issue with tumbled pavers, as LS notes very porous. I could not get the stain out, I tried Simple Green, pressure washer, TSP and Gunk de-greaser. In jest, a friend suggested to paint the whole thing with oil and then seal it.... I almost considered that, we changed the surface (it was only small <50sqft) and the issue went away. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Before going really caustic, try dishwasher soap. I'm astounded at the number of ills it can cure. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    jlsm said:
    Before going really caustic, try dishwasher soap. I'm astounded at the number of ills it can cure. 
    Better than Windex on a cut!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Oxy clean cleans my enameled ci stuff,

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    I've used kitty litter to remove motor oil stains from concrete for years, should work on EVOO.  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• henapple
    Muratic acid?
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Or turn them all upside down!! :((
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2013
    If it is a natural color you could use comet with bleach mixed with lacquer thinner to a paste about the consistency of peanut butter, cover with plastic wrap for 24hr and remove the poultice and the stain should be gone. If the pavers are colored I would very careful with any chemical for fear of removing the color in the Crete

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I second the dishwasher soap. Wet the stain, sprinkle dishwasher soap and keep it damp and give it time to work.  I covered the area with damp towels (rags) and left it covered overnight. The soap will degrease the stains and bleach it. If you wash it off and the water beads, you still have oil/grease in the pavers. I had to do it a couple of times. After the grease is gone it's easier to clean the stains off with the pressure washer and liquid detergent.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Lots of good suggestions, glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this happen! Will try least aggresive ideas first, and work my way up. I do have some extra pavers that I can test on first. I procrastinated pretty long to attempt to clean the worst spot up, but will give it a try. Should finally be warm enough for a few days to not deal with freezing temps overnight.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Baby wipes are my wife's miracle cleaner... Other than that, rather than those really harsh chems... just bust it out and put a new paver in
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    henapple said:
    Muratic acid?

I would think that this would work.  Just be careful on handling.  And if it were me, I would probably try this or CLR.  You may also want to check out Purple Power.  I've never used on pavers, but have as an engine degreaser.  That may work for you, and is probably safer to use than the acid. 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Kempy said:
    henapple said:
    Muratic acid?

I would think that this would work.  Just be careful on handling.  And if it were me, I would probably try this or CLR.  You may also want to check out Purple Power.  I've never used on pavers, but have as an engine degreaser.  That may work for you, and is probably safer to use than the acid. 
    Acids can't penetrate the grease/oils. That's why you need a detergent to degrease first.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • I use extra strength Dawn straight from the bottle or a little WD 40 rub it in good and then use a pressure washer 

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen