Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creosote White Smoke Timeline

Options
So yes i made the mistake of putting in wild cherry wood that was rather moist. :( I had white billowing smoke for about 20-30 min. My question is, how long does it take for creosote to form on the inside of the dome and how long can the meat be exposed to this smoke before imparting that bitter flavor? I opened the dome a few times when i noticed the white smoke just to get most of it out as to not affect the meat as much but i still worry that the 20-30 min total that the smoke hit the meat has ruined it. thanks for the help guys. 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    When you opened the dome, was the smoke acrid? If it still smelled like smoke wood should, the white smoke might not be a big deal. I have some hickory chunks that will suddenly seem to "emit" a great amount of smoke. Food is just fine, and no abnormal build-up on the inside of the dome. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Probably not ruined.. I've had similar circumstances a couple of times, and there was only 1 where the flavor wasn't so good. Not ruined, but one batch of ribs did need a blanket of sauce.

Also, for long lo-n-slo cooks, some of the nasty volatile chemicals will bake off the food. Good luck.

A bit more salt also suppresses the sensation of bitterness.
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    Thanks guys. The smoke was so intense it burned my eyes for a second. I kept the dome open until most of it went away. I am at 300 dome with a 9lb butt. I just hope its not ruined. I have guest coming over. :)