Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Done with Ribs - Fail again

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking said:
    Aviator said:

Yeah, like others have said above. I do ribs regularly and is a favorite of mine. There is nothing more satisfying than some single malt before, during and after/with ribs.

Some are bad ribs, and I blame it on the cryo packs; you don't know if that pig was dead 10yrs ago. I have started buying fresh from publix and have never looked back. They are more expensive, but who wouldn't spend some for some good ribs.

As @Aviator rightfully pointed out, it is very important to keep the cook well-lubricated starting from the pre-planning stage fo the cook. Single malt does the trick for me also. Maybe that's why everything tastes so good... I'm too soused to know any better!
    Be careful. If you get too soused, you'll be found "cooked" sous table.

Ask me how I know....(Really, don't ask. I don't remember. There may be pictures...)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @robnybbq - two kinds of ribs, those braised (foiled) those "dry" smoked. The competition style dry rib is not what SWMBO likes, so we compromise. 
    Like @lousubcap said, foil. 
    One and one half hours at 300 with rub etc... off into foil with maybe 1 Tbs juice or wine per rack. back on the grill for an hour or so, then check, if they bend and meat has pulled back, off and sauce for 1/2 hour or so. 

Me, I like @Mickey turbo method. They are the best and an easy cook. 

Keep at it man!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I like the St Louis cut too and they are cheaper than baby backs.
    Keep trying Rob, think how great you'll feel when you do get them right!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    when bent the bones ripped out.  If it needed longer would they be "Juicy" still.  I think another hour might have resulted in bricks, no?

The meat on all of them was not moist and a little tough and dried out - not fall off the bone like I have done many times on the old gasser years back. They all had a nice smoke ring for whatever that is worth.

Which version is it?