Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

advice for 1 inch plus ribeye

Local grocery store had a one day meat sale, got 4 1+ inch ribeye steaks, each weighs over a pound. I do not have a CI grate, just stock grate. Lowest I can get is fire ring (don't want to try caveman), also have plate setter, was thinking indirect roast with a reverse sear to finish? Temps or other advice would be appriciated!

Comments

• Reverse sear will work, I always do Trex.  Fire it up till it goes nuclear (thermometer starts to lap itself) or >700, then 1 to 1.5 minutes a side, pull cover and foil, then cool egg down to 400 (usually 20 minutes) then cook to desired temp.  Have fun and post some pics. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You do it just like I do. You can indirect from 250 - 400(I have done both), depending on how fast you want it done. The slower you go, the more any rub or smoke flavor gets into the meat(If that is what you want). I roast to 120 and then sear 60-90 seconds per side at the fire ring level. I usually will open the vent all the way up and wait until the dome hits 600(I pull the dome thermo to keep it from wrapping) and go. The fire will get hotter than this but I don't need to really monitor it, just the meat. Once it looks good, I pull it. I also have a grid that I can get right next to the coal but I hold the temp at 550 for this(don't ask how I ruined a Prime ribeye).

I plan on trying to frequently flip it during the sear to get a more uniform crust, but I need to get a grill mitt for the blast furnace temps while my hand is frequently down there. The narrowness of my medium makes it hard to be exceptionally quick while flipping.
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    I don't understand the need for reverse sear. I like thick steaks too. I get the BGE up to about 650 to 700° then put the steak on for about 2 minutes per side. If it is a good cut of meat that always satisfies me.
    Columbia, SC

• Eggcelsior
    edited April 2013
    sarivers said:
    I don't understand the need for reverse sear. I like thick steaks too. I get the BGE up to about 650 to 700° then put the steak on for about 2 minutes per side. If it is a good cut of meat that always satisfies me.
    Trex and reverse sear allows for the entire piece of meat to achieve the same temp throughout. Meat cooks from the outside in. If you want Medium rare, the outside of the meat will be different gradients(well-done, medium, so on to medium rare). This is why you can get a grey ring with a pink center.

Like this: image

By having a roasting period and a sear, the "pink to pink" edge can be attained.

Like this:

It is totally a personal preference. Stick with what you like. You may like "Pittsburgh rare" or "blue rare". When I go for this temp, I do exactly as you describe. Typically, I like a medium rare ribeye and the edge to edge pink that I have only ever seen in good steak houses; they use similar techniques(holding steaks at a temp and then searing them - hot tub, sous vide, etc.) If I do a filet mignon I go blue rare. Once again, it's what makes you happy.

Reverse searing is also a little bit easier of a cook. It is really easy to let the cook get away from you at screaming temps; especially cooking for a crowd.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    reverse sear...I don't even look at the finishing temp... go ballistic. you can even get grill marks on the regular grid if you don't have a mangrate. use the thermapen.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    thicker than 1.25 i trex, thinner i hot tub and sear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

When I do it reverse, my internal temperature always seems to get too high.

I have had much better luck doing it Trex style.

• I have a maverick, but don't yet have a Thermapen, Bday is in two weeks. my local dealer just ordered 10 of them, one has my name on it! Trex sounds like a fun cook, but reverse sear sounds more promising to get good result for first run at steak. I plan to smoke some potatoes as well, so I can give thoes a head start, then roast steak to 115 ish, and sear for the big finish. Followed by a 5 to 10 minute stand, with the goal of medium rare final product. Will be making this cook tomorrow night, will post results.Thanks for the ideas!
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Can someone explain the Trex cook to me?
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • Eggcelsior
    Here is all you need to know about Trex
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128

@Eggcelsior, Thanks!

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    I have a maverick, but don't yet have a Thermapen, Bday is in two weeks. my local dealer just ordered 10 of them, one has my name on it! Trex sounds like a fun cook, but reverse sear sounds more promising to get good result for first run at steak. I plan to smoke some potatoes as well, so I can give thoes a head start, then roast steak to 115 ish, and sear for the big finish. Followed by a 5 to 10 minute stand, with the goal of medium rare final product. Will be making this cook tomorrow night, will post results.Thanks for the ideas!
    I have done this same cook and it worked out quite well.  Your plan is solid.  Taters will stay hot for a long time wrapped in foil while the steak sears/rests. 

Pics...to prove it happened:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited April 2013

I have found that cooking nice thick steaks at 550/600 turning every 2 minutes until I get a 120 internal temp for a perect medium rare.  If I screw it up and overcook the wife loves her's with less color anyways.    Steaks are simply great on the Egg.

You boys are making me hungry!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Yeah, hungry is right. I have a few 2" (almost) thick prime ribeye in the freezer that I need to bring back to life. Thanks for the visuals, smokeypitt, May be a Saturday dinner. Tonight I am with Kristi and her deep dish on CI.

Sou chefs are preppin while I am sippin and contemplatin'

:D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Aviator said:

Yeah, hungry is right. I have a few 2" (almost) thick prime ribeye in the freezer that I need to bring back to life. Thanks for the visuals, smokeypitt, May be a Saturday dinner. Tonight I am with Kristi and her deep dish on CI.

Sou chefs are preppin while I am sippin and contemplatin'

:D
    I call that "The magic hour" :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Yep I do 600-700 direct 4 mins per side perfect medium rare
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I did these like any other steak, raised direct at 400, they just got monitored for internal temp a bit more and flipped more.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys