Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New medium BGE leaks rainwater

Options
So I have had an XL for 4 or 5 years now and have never had any problems other than toasted gaskets. I bought a medium for my smaller cooks and noticed right away that it leaks rainwater inside. I noticed rust on my DFMT which was stored inside the egg and the charcoal would not light. I discarded that load of lump, put in new lump and ran the egg at 375 for 3 hours to dry it out. Once I did that, it cooked just fine. I did take the precaution of using my XL cover which pretty much swallows the egg, that will keep the rain out, but I am wondering how/why it leaks. My XL doesn't leak at all. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is leaking around the thermometer stem, although my XL doesn't do that. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else experienced it? 
The felt gaskets are new, in good shape and I close the lower vent completely and put the ceramic cap on the dome.
Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I have a MBGE, and it is covered now, but it did sit out in the open for sometime. I live in the Pacific rainforest, we get a ton of rain. Never had a leak. Are you sure it is rainwater? Is there anyway it might be residual condensation inside the egg? My MBGE will snuff a fire in minutes, it is very tight. (Just guessing)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    Thats a thought, thanks. I did dry it out on Saturday and after cooking some burgers on it, I covered it back up. I'll check it when I get home, it could have been residual moisture. 
    Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    the best thing you can do is ship it to me... I'll take 6 months and work out the bugs... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Try lining the inside of your rain cap with aluminum foil and see if that solves the problem.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    henapple said:
    the best thing you can do is ship it to me... I'll take 6 months and work out the bugs... =))
    Dang ya bet me to it
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Wylecyot said:
    Try lining the inside of your rain cap with aluminum foil and see if that solves the problem.
    No, no, no! The egg is taking on water, it is not having its thoughts read by aliens. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!