Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Morel mushroom

Options
Anyone know about these? Specifically why my local whole foods has then for $27.99/ounce! That's more than some illegal drugs ha. What makes them so special and is it worth the cost?
Boom

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I know they are out of my price range, supposed to be really good though
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Browninggold
    Options
    Every spring we get our own here in Michigan...all over in the woods. Excellent cooked in butter and CI on the stove and drizzled over steaks
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My parents used to pick them in the back yard when I was a little kid.  Watch out if you ever plan to pick them....there are some poisonous "false morels" out dere.
    Options
    you don't need much to flavor an omelet. If you decide to splurge, be sure to soak them to get the dirt out of the crannies. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Browninggold
    Options
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    I have "hunted" them since I was a kid.  We called them "snakehead morels"  There is nothing like a yellow morel.  Soak them in salt water for while to clean them up a bit, throw in egg and flour and butter fry them.  SO GOOD... There is no real concern with the "false morel if you are "hunting."  If you cut a morel long ways, it is hollow throughout the whole mushroom.  

As for price, they can't be farmed and they are not easy to spot. I usually see them for around $50/lb(fresh) around here(IN).  If you do go hunting(season just started) look for a downed elm tree that is decomposing and in wet soil. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Eggucator said:
     If you do go hunting(season just started) look for a downed elm tree that is decomposing and in wet soil. 
    A recently-burned area is also very good.   ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I get them every year here in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa.  All they cost me is a little time to walk them down.  Some years are better than others, but I'm lucky enough to have a friend with an air boat that allows us to hit the islands on the Platte river.  They are amazing pan fried in butter!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2013
    Options
    My parents used to pick them in the back yard when I was a little kid.  Watch out if you ever plan to pick them....there are some poisonous "false morels" out dere.

Had two deaths last year in our ED due to false morels....too young to die from eating the wrong mushroom.  If you plan to hunt them, respect it and do your research.

Last few years have been horrible when it comes to mushroom hunting here in IA/IL midwest.  Hoping all this rainfall with a nice warmup will make for a good one.  Good times getting out and taking a walk with my dad and brother on my grandpa's old stomping grounds(farmland).

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."