Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help - Packer or Flat?

Only have done one brisket. Which one to buy, a packer or flat? How do you recommend cooking. Thanks for input.

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Ive done a full packer (15lbs on a BGE Large) coated in Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.  250-275 and let it ride - It took ~ 10 hours.  Was AWESOME!

Garnerville, NY
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited January 2013
    I almost always do flats. When I do find a packer, the price is higher than I want. Here is my last post on my method Flat out Tasty 

This was a 8.5 lb flat. I start at 225° fat side down, we took it to the kitchen when the internal temp got to 165° and injected it with a beef broth, bouillon, worcestershire, and black pepper mixture. Bumped the egg up to 300° foiled it and start checking how easily the thermometer probe slides in and out at 195° and this one was much better at 205° so thats where we pulled it and put it in a cooler with towels for 2 hours. 

Some guys don't inject or foil. But I do flats all the time and this was my method for the most tender one yet. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I tend to think the packer is the way to go, mostly because I love cutting the point up for burnt ends.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Point is the best part - I'll only cook packers.  Flats are great if corned and made into pastrami, IMO.
    I can purchase just the point. Would that be a good way to go, a couple of points?

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I like a packer. You have a nice lean flat and a nice fatty point. Caters to all your guests taste.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Get a left side packer.