Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stupid brisket

Options
Another mangrating fail. I don't know what the mangrate I did wrong. Used the beef stock injection recipe Dave From Florida posted. Marinaded the brisket overnight. Egg at 225 dome with a little hickory wood. Direct with a drip pan filled with apple juice and water. When the mangrating brisket hit 170 I placed in a pan, little apple juice in the bottom. Checked at 200, 204, 5, 6 and so on. Never really loosened up. Good taste but dry. I soaked the pieces in the unused marinade and it was edible. The only good is the marinade. Better than au jus imho. I don't know whether to never cook another or cook a mangrating brisket every mangrating night till I get it mangrating right. Mangrate it.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    Only thing I really see different is I was at 250 at the grid.  You were 225 at the dome.  If this was a flat, they can be difficult.  Don't know if this was the cause or if it was just one of those stubborn pieces of meat we all have dealt with.  Stay at it and you will get there. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Maybe that particular cow bench pressed mangrates every day before it kicked the bucket. Extra tough due to enormous muscles. Those mangrates toned my upper body like no other.... any made my sweat smell like vidalia onions....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @henapple-great title and write-up.  Don't know your stupid brisket size or total cook time but as Dave mentioned -a flat can be a crap-shoot.  I only have access to flats (except on rare occasions) and routinely get singles, a rare triple and a home-run around 1-2 times a year.  Strike-outs are still there-but I have more fun with the cook (and SWMBO escape experience) although tempered a bit but this cool weather.  Time for another go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    4 lb. Around 5 hr cook time. Couldn't monitor the grid because my mangrating piece of mangrate maverick probe is out. Dave's marinade is freaking awesome. It saved the meal. I will use it on my next PR.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My money is on Chubbs Sir.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    I want someone to cook a brisket in Salado. Not a packer but a flat. I want to see how it's done. I'll provide the libations.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Just saw your burger post below. Next time take that brisket and have it ground into burgers. Best burgers you ever had. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    Another dumb question. If you don't need 16lbs of brisket how can you choose the best cut of meat?
  • Mickey
    Options
    henapple said:
    I want someone to cook a brisket in Salado. Not a packer but a flat. I want to see how it's done. I'll provide the libations.

Travis will be back from his Uncles at the beach in about a week. He is the guy.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Only thing I really see different is I was at 250 at the grid.  You were 225 at the dome.  If this was a flat, they can be difficult.  Don't know if this was the cause or if it was just one of those stubborn pieces of meat we all have dealt with.  Stay at it and you will get there. 

250 grid is a HUGE difference from 225 dome. Therein lies your problem..........
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    Options
    If the mangrating maverick company would sell a decent mangrating probe....so you're saying I was too hot? Mangrate me.
  • ptmurphy
    Options
    henapple said:
    4 lb. Around 5 hr cook time. Couldn't monitor the grid because my mangrating piece of mangrate maverick probe is out. Dave's marinade is freaking awesome. It saved the meal. I will use it on my next PR.
    There's something wrong here.  I cooked a 4 pound brisket a couple of weeks ago with a dome temp of 275 - 300 and it took 8.5 - 9 hours to cook.  Have you calibrated your thermometer?  5 hours at those temps seems WAY too fast.