Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

old coal=tasty chicken

Options
yesterday i wanted to burn up some old coal i had sitting in the egg.  so i figured a beer can chicken would get this done.  after 4 hour at 280, the chicken was finally done.  i was worried that was too long and be dried out.  not the case.  very moist and flavorful.  my wife said it was the best one so far.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sounds good if you got 4 hours. But you can get good chicken in the 50 min cooks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
     Chicken, always good, glad she liked it. Chicken can be pretty forgiving, that's why those supermarket spinning spit birds can rotate under hot lights all day and still have some moisture and taste. (Not saying your's was like that)
    Like Mickey says, you don't need four hours, one will do it and the beer can is not needed either. 

Thanks for sharing!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    Options

i guess my point did not come across right.  i know chicken doesnt need 4 hours.  with the leftover coal i had in the egg from a previous cook, the temp would not get up to the 325-350 temp range.  so this time took alittle longer and was just as good maybe even better that prior beer can chickens. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I bet the egg didn't get up to 350 bcuz ash was clogging grates.