Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Puttin' a STEREO schystem together! And I feel like a teenager again.

13»

Comments

• Yes I have heard good things about Blue Jeans.  Like "Monster" the company that started it all, BJ are reported to be really good budget cables.   Some of these DYI cables can be far superior however.  The best cables are all hand made because of the difficulty in assembly.  This is one reason why superior cables start getting expensive.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I love me my Monster Cables. I miss me my Best Buy discount on them, though......
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    I have one Monster cable. 30' running from my projector to my A/V reciever. High quality for sure. Rest of my cables are from either Monoprice or Blue Jean. BTW I purchased the Monster @ a discount. I know someone :) no it isn't Mangrates 8-}
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Costco has some long run Wirelogic Sapphires for a pretty good deal. My Dad got me some to run a line for my TV in the loft but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Apparently, they are made by Audioquest. I used to get 50 or 60% off Monster cable through a Pro deal program when I worked at Best Buy/Myer-Emco. Those were the days..... Sadly, my income didn't match my ideas.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Nolaegghead - was involved in HAM, after high school went to St Lawrence College for a year, VE3SLC was the call sign. That's what got me interested in Heath Kits. I turned to signal processors trying to make my guitar sound better (different). Later, after University, I worked in a design lab for digital switching with GTE so we had the equipment and time to "knock off" Heath Kits for fellow employees. 

Let us know how the project goes - looks like fun. I always though acoustic feedback through the platter and tone arm/cartridge was a bigger issue than vibrations through the foot pads. You have the foot pad vibes covered. Good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    Here's the turntable you should purchase http://www.wwstereo.com/Denon/DP-A100
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I took a different tack.  I got rid of my receiver, amp, cd player and converted to a SONOS system.  My daughter introduced me to this Santa Barbara company and it has changed my life..at least the way I listen to music.  You can hook it up to your current system and speakers or use it exclusively. It basically connects your computer and the internet to your music system.. I listen to Pandora and my itunes almost exclusively but it is so easy to place all your music on iTunes.  You can play different music in different zones, i.e. play one type of music outside, another i  the kitchen and another in the bedroom.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    My sister has that in their new house....seems to work really well.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hooking up the last few connections....about to fire it up for the first time.  Boy, dem neighbors gonna HATE dis.....

I'll give an update and post some pics.  Been really busy building stuff and cooking the last 4 days (took a mini vacation)...so haven't been on the forum.  I'll catch up tonight.
    @nolaegghead - personal time is not allowed, you are needed here.....

Take care.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Update:

Built the cart, finishing up the top.  Was raining this evening, so I'm going to have to finish polishing the cement tomorrow.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

If you grind/polish in the rain, it ain't so dusty......

Looks good!
  • nolaegghead
    @Skiddymarker  Thanks!  I'm wet polishing - hose is attached to the grinder.  Problem with the rain is it gets in the grinder and I get zapped, plus it's miserable enough trying to avoid the spray from the grinder - that piece of plexi is a shield I stay behind.

Despite two GFCIs, I got zapped a little bit.
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Nola, I want concrete counter tops in my kitchen. Pretty small kitchen. Two counters maybe 10 feet total with an L in it. Roughly how much am I looking at? I know you know. Want to fly to SC, stay at my house, egg all day everyday, and build it for me??!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    edited February 2013
    @Browninggold Yep, Klipsch RB-81 IIs.  They sound great, and extremely efficient.

@Chubbs You don't want someone like me who's only made them one time doing it!  I'm still fighting the learning curve!
    edited February 2013
    That's a serious piece of concrete. 

I remember Kenwood made a turntable with a concrete base (or similar material) that was very heavy and designed to help absorb the shocks and vibration.  I had B&O turntables and nothing bugged them.  This was my second one, bought in Denmark:

I gave it away to my cousin a number of years back since we had switched over to CDs. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    Update:

Finished the stereo stand last night.  Wet polishing cement is MISERABLE.  I got soaking wet from the spray off the grinding wheel, and I was getting zapped from electricity leaking off the wet switch (it did have a GFCI, but it wasn't leaking to ground).  Anyway, solved the electrocution problem with some saran wrap and nitrile gloves.    I'm very pleased with the results.  Need to get this in the house some how (weighs over 300 pounds).  I should have the the gear on it tonight, and I'll take some final pics.

The metal studs, motorcycle valve springs and recesses all lined up perfectly.  The top has a nice spring to it, and it's not going anywhere - I can even push it with the top.  That's a half inch thick plexi shelf insert on the bottom.

bump megalopolis
    Nice setup...I really like Klipsch speakers. I've been into HT for a few years. Also have a Emotiva XPA-3. If your into Airplay enabled products I have a Klipsch G17 and plays tunes around the whole house and outside through my wireless network. I wish I would of known of the Egg a little sooner and I would of held back on something else :)..the upgrade bug will hit you I have around 25K in my setup. Oppo bluray, Klipsch RF7IIs, Emotiva amp, Sony pj, SV sub etc....have fun. I changed my profile picture earlier that's part of my setup. If you want to get into HT big time check out this forum...http://www.avsforum.com/f/ I'm lifetime member same screen name
    Sweet setup!   So, can you hear the difference between the Oppo and a regular CD player?
    For an audio only system used for stereo there is no need to go beyond a regular CD player.  Put your money and time into speaker selection and room set up. Lots of fun shopping for components but the real differences are the speakers, their placement and how the room is setup.

i also think that anyone over the age of thirty needs to get a detailed hearing test before spending big bucks on components that make improvements you cannot hear.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Anyway, solved the electrocution problem with some saran wrap and nitrile gloves. 
    This lone statement will have me chuckling for at least a couple weeks!   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I had to re-read this whole thread.
    The huge disappointment, for me:

Oppo is dead.  They quit building universal disk players.  I can't blame them, everyone streams now, but dammit!  I'd built up a yuge collection of 5.1 media:  DVD-A, SACD 5.1, Bluray 5.1, even Bluray Audio 5.1 (the last two Tom Petty releases).  My Oppo BDP-83 could play them, but I wore it out.  Got a BDP-103, but eventually wore it out too!  I found a used BDP-93 locally, and am using that now, but as a mechanical drive, it too will eventually die.  
    No idea if anyone will again make a universal disk player... I know 5-channel Bluray is still popular, would love to see even a S/W converter + disk burner, or similar.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• That cement slab is just ugly, even by NO standards. Those in the know use optical turntables and play thru even during earthquakes.
    May your lot improve and someday you can afford to get the good stuff.  Klipsch?  Really now, you know who owns them, eh?
  • nolaegghead
    Snore.  Be smarter, try harder.
    That's all the feeding that squirrel will get.  
    Nola- got a shot of the finished table with the equipment loaded? Love the heavy table idea with valve springs- does it work as you expected?
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    @Wolfpack. Yep.  Works well.  The only improvement I would make is some dampers on the springs to lower the resonance frequency 

Stached Posts: 3
    edited January 2020
    I thought about upgrading / renewing my garage system but when I crank up the volume on my 70's MacIntosh Amp and my Klipsch LaScalas and can clearly hear the sound clearly at the end of my 100yd driveway while I check the mail...  I go back to old school is still the best!!

Bring back The_Stache... Password resets are STILL an issue!!!