Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin tip roast

scaryangel
scaryangel Posts: 135
What's the best way to cook a sirloin tip roast on the egg?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can roast it slow, indirect at a low temp to medium rare.  It's a little boring that way, but makes great sammiches if cut up thin.  Depending on the cut, you can (and you might have to cut it into 1.5-2.5" steaks with the grain running in the long direction) cook it hot like a london broil, then cut across the grain.  You can add some rub, make fajitas or just eat with some au jus or gravy.  It's a good meat for kabobs or souvlaki - you can marinate....season - you want to char the outside and leave the inside on the R to MR side (my personal taste - I think sirloin gets nasty between char and medium).
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    edited January 2013
    This is modified from an oven recipe and is fantastic. We love sirlions this way.

Herb Sirlion Roast

Stabilize Egg at 275-300* indirect

Base Rub  Mix together
             1/3 cup minced parsley
              2 Tbs minced thyme
              1 minced shallot
       * Set 2 tbs of base rub aside for 2nd rub

1st Rub 
    Mix together
              Remaining Base rub
              4 Tbs of softened butter

2nd Rub Mix together
              2 Tbs of Base rub (set aside from earlier)
              1 Tbs of Dijon mustard
              1 Tbs of Olive oil (I really like lemon infused Evoo for this)

The roast

4lb  sirlion tip
              1 Tbs of salt (we use sea salt)
              1 Tbs of fresh ground pepper
              - Butterfly roast, rub with the salt and pepper all over.
              - Spread 2nd rub to the inside of the roast and tie back together
              - Place in fridge for 1 hour

Remove from fridge and pat dry.
              Brown the outside of roast (I like a cast iron pan on high heat with a little canola)

Place in 275-300* Egg set up for indirect heat. Cook to 125* internal temp.

Remove and coat the outside with 1st Rub, rest for 20 minutes wrapped in aluminum foil.
              Slice thin and enjoy!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    AS noted above, sirloin tip is best served sliced thin and at an internal of no more than medium. In order to not overcook the outside, it must be cooked at lower temps, indirect 300 max. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Just cooked one last week and it turned out incredible! Soy, fresh garlic, Italian Cheese Fantastico (my go to for many items) 325 about 4 hrs with cherry and hickory, good size roast! Pulled at 135, let rest and it was outstanding! Cut thin across grain for......carne burritos, carne salad, carne sandwiches, carne and beans! Still have some left over!