Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MINI Drummies

My plan last night was to cook some wings trying out DP's Tsunami Spin (new to me) last night for that joke of a game. Unfortunately, when I got to the store, they were out of wings. I know, right? The horror! I didn't feel like going to another store, so I opted for drummies instead. I got home and decided to use Tsunami on two and Cluck and Squeal on the other three to give me a little taste comparison and a bit of variety. With Mrs. G being out of town, I was going to have to eat all 5 of them, so why not have a bit of difference? No wood was used to allow for a clearer comparison of the two rubs. My plan was to set up the MINI at 450F and use the MINI Woo. At the last second, I decided to toss in a pizza stone (wrapped in foil for easy clean up). No real reason. I usually do chicken direct, but felt like breaking from the norm just to see how the cook would differ.

Here they are on the MINI.

About 35 minutes later

45 minutes later and just about done

Plated up with a few tater tots and some salad with a light vineaigrette for some healthy eating.

Ok, ok....you got me. There was a tid bit of alcohol involved. A lil Cuba Libre. I really need to get to the store and get some more bourbon.

Turns out I shouldn't have even bothered with the two rubs. With all the meds the doctor has me on, my taste buds are kinda fried. Personally, I think its the preventative inhaler they got me using. I could detect a bit of difference, but honestly not enough to give any kind of review. I mean they both tasted good and all don't get me wrong, but I couldn't pick up any subtle or unusual flavors. I joked with @TUTTLE871 by text last night that I probably could have rubbed them with dirt and not noticed. Still, it was a good meal, sorta healthy and a lot better than the game. Oh...and the game was turned off by half time. What a joke.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• They look really good -- but I know what you mean about taste buds right now.  We weren't sure if my wings were good or not last night.
    And look at you making green stuff when no one is looking! :-bd

PS:  This reminds me that I reallllllly want a mini.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Yup, I ate my green stuff. Gotta start shedding some lbs. Iceberg lettuce, green leaf lettuce, grape maters, green onions, some brocolli and a light vinaigrette. Gotta stay away from Ranch dressing.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Looks good my friend. But legs is what Bone Sucking Sauce is made for.....

And you have to turn in your man card on the greens [-(

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Still haven't tried Bone Sucking Sauce. That would be extra calories and I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. Get it? See what I did there? I crack myself up. =))

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey

Jason you can find Bone Sucking Sauce at all Cracker Barrels and I think your Central Market will have it. Buy a bottle and not only if you like it, but if you do not drink some I will give you your money back in Salado for it.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    edited January 2013

I've seen it at Central Market, but "The Boss" gave me a dirty look when I went to add it to the cart. "Don't you have enough sauce already? Why don't you finish some before you buy any more?" I was told.

I like to do my sauce from a shot glass. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• +1 for Bone Sucking Sauce.

Grif... Grif.... Didn't you say you cook 90% of the meals?  Does your wife complain about them?
    (I think you know where I'm heading on ths).

'Nuff said.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    I don't know that I ever said 90%, and I know I wouldn't say that around her, but yeah...that sounds about right. Ok, I'll pick some up next time I go to CM.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin said:
    I don't know that I ever said 90%, and I know I wouldn't say that around her, but yeah...that sounds about right. Ok, I'll pick some up next time I go to CM.
    Great !  You are readmitted to the Man Club.   :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Very good Gary. Now just to get Travis back into it. He is on the way to Calf. as his Uncle said to spend 30 days in the field there.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Good looking cook Griff, stay on the meds and get better, look forward to your posts. 

Have an Aunt who uses a preventative inhaler, has the same issue - really screws up her taste buds. Sometimes when she uses it, her pasta sauce will take the top off your head, she keeps adding red pepper flakes until she gets the flavor she can taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Those look great. I can't justify lighting the XL for one pack of Drummies how I want a smaller egg. Oh well I just did 24 instead...
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lynnwood WA
  • Griffin

@Skiddymarker - what's weird is that hot things are tasting even hotter, while other flavors haven fallen off or gotten dull. Even my bourbon was tasting "off" and not enjoyable. Not happy about that.

@double - looks like you need another hanging rack. I know I can fit two in my large. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• double
    @Griffin you are correct, trying not to buy anything grill related for a whilst so that when the small arrives I can claim I saved up...
    Lynnwood WA
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    The drums look good and I see you had a visual acuity problem to solve getting all 5 to fit on the Mini.

But your wife is out of town and green things were allowed to come within 10 feet of your plate? Really? This post also reminded me of why I do my own shopping.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

That looks damn tasty,  I need to try out the Cluck and Squeal, but the Mrs says you have enough Dizzy Pig that will last for a few years.

I am in the same boat with you on losing some weight, I went Skiing last week and that was the first time I wanted to quit by 2 Oclock.

Chicken and Fish is my new meat on the egg, but I did aquire half a Deer from my brother when I was home over Christmas so the Wife is on board with that.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griff sorry you are ailing,sucks things don't taste right.Not sure what a preventative inhaler is but I have to use one twice a day for asthma,never really noticed it affecting my taste. Good Luck with Diet !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Griffin

@double - I kept the money I got for my birthday this past year and secretly stashed a little bit away every month until I had enough for a MINI before telling Mrs. G about it. She shook her head and said "Well, I guess if you have the money already, but no more Eggs" Think it might be time to start saving again to buy one for the ranch. ;)

@jfm0830 - I have crammed more legs on there before. 7, I think it was. Green stuff...yup, New Year, new eating habits. Might come slowly, but gotta eat healthier. I'll still splurge on some unhealthy meals, just not as much.

@TUTTLE871 - We've got a swing rack for spices. This is an old picture when we first moved in, but one side is dedicated and full of nothing but BBQ spices and rubs.

@calracefan - Thanks. They've got me on Ventolin HFA, an albuterol sulfate . Not sure if thats really what it is, or some of the other meds. I'm getting better and its just short term, so no worries.

Rowlett, Texas

• Wish I had a cabinet stocked like that ! Glad to hear you are better !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • double
    @griffin do you use your inhaler with a spacer or do you have the inhaler straight in your mouth? I have a spacer less meds in your mouth and more in your lungs apparently.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Griffin
    @double - looks like no spacer.

Rowlett, Texas

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Griffin said:

Hirsch's has the BSS. The guy that makes it was there one day cooking with it. Do yourself a favor and try the Tsunami again when you can taste. Its great on wings and drums
  • double
    edited January 2013
    Check this out on AMZN: OPTIHALER MDI DELIVERY SYSTEM 1 EACH http://amzn.com/B001V9N6OG

I'm sure this will solve your taste issues.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Another thing you can do with or without a spacer is to hold your breath after you take the puff. When you are done taking your two puffs, then you can go and rinse your mouth with water if you do not do so already. Do you have bronchitis or something?
  • Griffin
    I've been holding my breath for 10 seconds a puff. Good idea on rinsing out the mouth. Yeah, I got bronchitis pretty bad, just now starting to get over it. Thanks for the tip.

Rowlett, Texas