Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook in two places.

Options
Hi all, I'm heading up to our cottage in a few weeks for a guys weekend. I've got a 19 pound shoulder that I want to cook. My problem is that my egg is in my backyard and not up north. I'm serving the shoulder on the Friday night but driving north the day before. Can I smoke the shoulder for 6 hours or so and then drive it north and put it in the oven the next day to finish off the cook? Will I change the taste if I cook, let rest, cook again? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nah, do it all on the egg, pull it, bag it, and reheat up at the cottage.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Options
    I would finish the cook at home and re-heat the shoulder when I got where I was going. I've never stopped cooking a big hunk of meat like that in the middle of a cook. I am curious what others say though.
  • CeramicChef
    Options
    You'll want to cook it all at home. Get the internal temp to 190-195. Pull the shoulder, wrap in foil and let sit in a cooler for a couple of hours. Then pull the pork and put it in a nice aluminum pan and cover. You'll reheat in your destination over set at 325-350. This way you won't have to reheat the shoulder and then finish the cook. That'll take some kind of time. Enjoy the Guys Weekend!
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    I agree with the others. When I reheat, I like to add a little bit of apple juice and a good sprinkle of the rub I used to add a little flavor back. Should work out fine for you.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    The ony logical solution is buy an egg for the cottage

XLBGE 
  • golpher247
    Options

That all makes sense, including getting an egg for the cottage!  Too bad the wife doesn't feel the same way.

I'll do the cook in the city and then reheat up north.  How much time would 12-15 pounds of pulled pork take to heat up in an oven? 

Thanks for your help.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've reheated 20 lbs of pulled pork in a Nesco roaster in about 2 hours under low heat with some apple juice for moisture, stirring occasionally.