Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza FAIL

Options
Used plate setter legs down. 500f and bottom was burnt bad. Everything else looked great, however, we couldn't eat the pie. Any thoughts on why bottom would burn?

Comments

• Crispix49
    Options
    I've noticed that if I let the pizza stone "soak" too long in the heat where it heats up too much the bottom cooks quicker that the top.  Once it gets to temp, I'll let it heat up for about 30 minutes or so.  I also try and get the stone higher up in the dome to get more heat on the top.  My set up is the PS with legs up, the SS grid and then the grid extender with the pizza stone on top of that.  Just my two cents...
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Nativetexan
    Options
    Did you use a pizza stone? I don't believe the plate setter is designed to double as pizza stone. I use the stone on top of the plate setter, spread a little cornmeal on top and haven't had any problems yet....
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options

Get 2 Air Bake pizza pans(I have these for my large & small BGE's) from Target or Amazon...set up should be plate setter feet up, cooking grate, pizza stone, next have copper t's or AF balls on the pizza stone. After 45 minutes -1 hour of heating up the BGE with all listed above in it put the pizza (on the Air Bake Pans) on the spacers....cook for a few minutes...carefully open BGE, remove spacers, slide the pie direct on the heated pizza stone, cook for a few more minutes...then slide  pie back on the Air Bake pan, slice & serve...

http://www.bing.com/shopping/tefal-airbake-ultra-by-t-fal-08353pa-t481bnn2-insulated-nonstick/p/B88B13CA3B3EA0405012?q=air+bake+pizza+pans&lpf=0&lpq=air%2bbake%2bpizza%2bpans&FORM=EGCA&lppc=16

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    If I'm cooking more than 1 pizza I use the legs down, pizza stone on setter set-up. The thermal mass keeps the stone hot and it seems to cook lots of pies. 
    if we are doing one pie, legs up, grid and stone - just a tad higher temp. Too much topping can result in the top not being finished when the crust is "toast". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!