Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin

Options
I did my first indirect cook with my BGE yesterday, smoked a pork loin. Huge success, it came out perfect. Just thought I'd share the pics.

Question: I added for or five chunks of wet hickory to the coals for smoke flavor. It kept a good steady smoke for about two hours, then died down. That's plenty for this cook, but when I do an over night cook I'd like the smoke to last longer.

Which works better, adding a lot more wood chunks when I start or take everything off mid way to add fresh wood?

Thanks

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    You got a nice smoke ring on that meat, it looks good. Your gonna get most of your smoke in the first 2 hours but if you want to get more add wood chunks  into your lump so as the fire grows out it hits additional chunks of wood or you can always drop additional chunks down past the plate setter
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    mix wood throughout the lump. As the fire burns down, the wood will continually catch, providing smoke as the lump burns down. Here is a pic, courtesy of Stike.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Nice looking loin, great cook. 
    The wood does not have to be wet, dry is just fine in an egg - took me a while to understand this, but it does make sense. 

Mix the smoke wood in with the lump, outside near the fire box ceramic and inside the pile. For a low and slow you will have lump piled almost to the top of the fire ring, and you will light in only one place on the top. You want a small travelling fire that produces <275 dome heat. Smoke wood located in the lump down by the fire grate will not see fire for hours, hence will not produce smoke for hours. If you think the smoke is all gone, maybe you lit too much to start with or the more likely case is it was still making smoke that you just don't see. The egg is not like a traditional smoker or gasser, you seldom see the smoke from an egg - you just know it is there. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Nicely done!  Looks delicious!  I agree on mixing the wood throughout.  Dump a little lump in, then throw in a chunk or two of wood...dump some more lump in, then another couple wood chunks, etc. etc.  If on a long smoke I feel that my smoke is dying down, I use my billy bar to give the coals a quick poke/stir off to the side of the platesetter/stone.  This usually gets the smoke going strong again.
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    I appreciate the advice. I'm learning that smoking with an egg is a little different than the old side hot box smoker. The tips will definitely come in handy.