Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

meatloaf question

Options
I'm planning to smoke my first meatloaf today. My question-do I put it on the grate or a shallow pan? I did read indirect 300 to temp around 160. I would also like some ideas for glaze if anyone has one. Thanks!
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    From Alton brown- pretty basic and good For the glaze: 1/2 cup catsup 1 teaspoon ground cumin Dash Worcestershire sauce Dash hot pepper sauce 1 tablespoon honey
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do grate
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Thank you...I love AB!!
    Rome, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Don't put on the grate, because that's the thing that hold the charcoal, put it directly on the grid. A drip pan under is a good idea and depending on the fat content of your meat, make sure it is large enough and raised off the setter/shield stone. 
    Favorite recipe is probably good, you are used to it. I've found the glaze is an option, the smoke from the lump or added chunks is much better, We do make a beef based brown gravy for serving.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Options
    Ok, grid ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Just a thought. While you are doing this why not make up a bunch of meatballs. Then freeze. You will have plenty of room.

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Yea...I meant grid....:). The meatballs idea is great!!!! I will def do it. Thanks!
    Rome, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    The first time I made meatloaf on the Egg, I formed two smaller loaves and placed one in a pan, and one directly on the grid.  The first was a bit juicier, the second had a better crust.
    I still don't know which one I preferred!  
    :-?

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    As an added note, our meatloaf done in the oven is usually all beef or maybe 75% beef, 25% pork. The family likes as much as 50% ground pork with "egged" meatloaf. For some reason the higher pork content is not as "strong" when done in the egg. A touch of pork seems to make the loaf "fluffier" it is less dense. No idea why, just an observation. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NautiRogue
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the BGE, so I'm posting a recipe here that my family has LOVED on the gas grill.  I haven't yet done it on the BGE, but I expect that I'll cook it indirectly over the place setter with the legs up.  

We have 5 boys, so we normally double these quantities, and there are never any left overs!

Grilled Meat Loaf

Ingredients
    2 yellow onions
    2 pounds lean ground beef
    2/3 cup tomato paste (1 6-oz can)
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1 cup grated white cheddar (about 4 ounces)
    1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves. roughly chopped
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup baby carrots
    1/2 pound new potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks (or halved)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Heavy duty grilling tin foil

Directions
    1.  Heat grill to medium.  Install place setter with legs up and grid on top.  
    2.  Finely dice 1/2 onion.  In a large bowl, combine the diced onion, beef, tomato paste, breadcrumbs, cheddar, parsley, egg, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    3.  Prepare 2 sheets tinfoil 3 feet long stacked on top of each other.  Fold the foil in half, then unfold so there is a crease in the center.  Spray the foil with cooking spray.  Place the mixture in the center of the right half and shape it into the loaf.  Cut the remaining onions into 1-inch wedges.  Place the onions, potatoes, and carrots around the loaf.  drizzle with oil and season with remaining salt and pepper.  Fold the left side of the foil over the top and fold all edges together several times to create a tight seal.
    4.  Place on grill and cook, turning foil pack over every 7 to 10 minutes with flat cookie sheet and large spatula being careful not to pierce the foil.  Cook approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour until the loaf is cooked through and registers 150 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.  Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    I do mine on the grid...raised, direct, dome temp 400*. I keep the meatloaf in the fridge till the last minute...feel that cold meat will stay together better than that at room temp. Best tasting meatloaf ever.
    Fairview, Texas