Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lower shelf sagging (cupping)

Options

As you can see from a previous post, I'm giving my BGE table a makeover.   One issue I've had since I bought the table was sagging (cupping) of the lower shelf due to the weight of the BGE (large) on it.

Last night I removed the outer porition that had sagged and I'm now looking to cut new wood to replace it. (1 x 3's that have been doubled in thickness, essetially creating a 2x3)  This time, I plan on supporting the weight of the egg on the lower shelf with 2x4 cross beams underneath the shelf running the entire distance.

My question is, can anyone recommend a harder wood to construct the exterior of the bottom shelf so it will not be prone to sagging (cupping)?

Comments

• Ed Earl
    Options
    You could fasten a 2x4 to the inside of the legs or build an "X" frame from corner to corner and attach it to the legs.
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Options
    Cedar is a strong wood.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    Ash is another good wood to consider.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Not sure I understand the issue, but "my" (actually neighbors KJ) old table had 4 structural grade 2"X4" beams running the length of the table. The outside two were attached to the posts, just like yours, the inside two between the 2"X4" girts mounted between the posts. These inside 2"X4" beams actually carry most of the egg load considering the egg sat on a 16"X16" paver. 
    I'd use spruce, hemlock, pine standard framing material. It is cheap, stronger than cedar and because it is covered and not visible, no reason to use an exotic. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • duck_hunter
    Options
    1x cedar is strong enough as long as the span is correct, I would put joists 16" on center perpendicular to 1x cladding you are going to put on your self  
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I agree - the joists will be the easiest way to make that bottom shelf span not sag. 
    I used cedar 2 x 6s (3) for the base of my XL.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @NautiRouge 2"X6" works well as planking, because the span is relatively small good solution. If the span was twice as long, like many folk's long tables, there might be a sag issue. 
    Personally, I like the look of 5/4 cedar decking on 2"X4" beams hooked into 2"X4" girts all tied to 4"X4" posts, strong like bull and cheap like borscht. (Crown the beams)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I used 2 x 6's and never looked back.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!