Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef - Brisket or Chuck Roast?

I have seen some recipes for pulled beef that use brisket and some that use chuck roast. Is either better or "correct"? I am having about 13 people over this weekend and planning to make some rotisserie chickens on the gasser, maybe some shrimp skewers, and then either a brisket or pulled beef sandwiches for the main attraction. I've done one brisket so far that was okay - not bad, not great. So I'm looking for something relatively idiot proof but better than just burgers. Unfortunately pork is not an option.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Google clay q's pulled beef its a chuck roast smoked and then put in a DO. I have never done a brisket to pull but I saw on DDD an episode where they seared a brisket then braised it and pulled it for tacos. I have been wanting to cold smoke a brisket flat then sear and then braise but I haven't gotten around to it. The pulled chuck roast is good but be prepared for a long cook. Its like a shoulder 1.5 hours a pound.
  • Just did some not that long ago and used Chuck. Does go slow andi usually end up wrapping in foil and braising. Good stuff though.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Thanks guys. Since pork is not an option, are there any suggestions to replace the bacon? Assume this is just for fat/flavor. When I made my first butt I injected it and really liked the results. Also, I don't have DP Cow Lick, but I do have Dizzy Dust and Jamaican Firewalk. How would either of those do or should I stick with a steak rub?
  • Thanks guys. Since pork is not an option, are there any suggestions to replace the bacon? Assume this is just for fat/flavor. When I made my first butt I injected it and really liked the results. Also, I don't have DP Cow Lick, but I do have Dizzy Dust and Jamaican Firewalk. How would either of those do or should I stick with a steak rub?
    Just leave it out. I do.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Not trying to steal the thread but reading Clay's recipe and wondering why the maple syrup?
    I'm in until that point. Anybody else just skip that step?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    for pulled beef i like the chuck, and a big piece, 8 pound minimum, 10 12 pounder is better. for rub all i put on is pepper and a dusting white sugar, its the sauce that makes the biggest difference to me with pulled beef, i like a stubs style sauce, not too sweet. i also dont like pulled beef cooked in alot of liquid towards the end, it tastes more like a potroast to me cooked that way, i prefer it drier with more texture
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Let the chuck roast speak for itself, no need to add all those extras.  Just put some rub on it and let it cook at 250-300 until done, the beef flavor will shine through and you will be glad you didn't cover it with all the extras.  I make that and it melts when finished, nothing more needed, except if you want to put some bbq sauce in it after pulled. 
  • IrishDevl

Just looked at Clay Q's recipe and I think it is overkill.  I get a chuck roast from my butcher (usually 8lbs or so) and mustard, rub night before and on grill for 14 hours.  When it is done the thermapen slides in like butta and the beef flavor is fantastic.  No need to cover it up with syrup, bacon or anything else.  I assume the bacon is to keep the beef from drying out, but if you get some good quality chuck you just won't need it, the fat content is fantastic.  I did get a chuck roast once from a local Shoprite and I wasn't blown away, but this is merley because the meat was of very poor quality.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Been awhile since I did one, but used chuck. Cooked it like a butt, but wrapped it in foil towards the end. I'm with fishlessman with a sauce like Stubs. Never understood the maple syrup. Sweet with beef? Doesn't sound right to me.

Took me awhile to dig up pictures is was so long ago.image

Can you believe it snows in Dallas? Pulled at 9 hours.

Makes great tacos.

I think I know what I'm making this weekend. Thanks for reminding me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I use Clay's process with great results in the finished product.  I don't use a dutch oven rather a disposable foil pan covered 2x with HDAF.

I actually eliminate the maple syrup, reduce the amount of water by 50% and use the juice from pepperocinis peppers in its place.  In other words I use the full liquid amount it calls for but use a 50/50 - 75/25 mixture of pepper juice and water depending upon who it is being served to.  I have tried small amounts of beef broth, cherry dr. pepper, and jalapeno juice as well in my liquid mix with equally good results depending upon sweet/spicy preference of the audience.

I have found that being meticulous during the pulling stage is key removing virtually all of the fat/membrane from the Chuckies makes all the difference. 

• Griff your picture has convinced me. I'm going to the butcher for a hunk of chuck!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Yes now I will be doing pulled beef tacos this weekend. I have always done Clay Qs recipe I am gonna try just letting them go this time. Below is a previous cook.image.image.image

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Took some digging to finally find my original post.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1036688/first-chuck-on-the-egg-updated-pics

I know this was on another forum, but still its got some more details on how I did it.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21353

Yup, that's esactly what I am gonna do this weekend now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Clay's recipe is a must.  Two eggs and a WSM of it for a friend's retirement party served with APL's BBQ sauce.  Used some halved apples to lift the chucks out of the braising liquid for some time during stage 2.

Recipe can be found on Dizzy Pig's website under customer recipes by Clay Q.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Griffin said:

Been awhile since I did one, but used chuck. Cooked it like a butt, but wrapped it in foil towards the end. I'm with fishlessman with a sauce like Stubs. Never understood the maple syrup. Sweet with beef? Doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks everyone. So after cooking like a butt do you shred and putt back on the egg in a DO with the sauce for a bit more? Or just shred, sauce, and serve?

Since all of my cooking is usually for 2 people I have no idea how much to make. We'll have around 14 people with a couple rotisseries, sides, appetizers, etc. Two 8-10 pounders should suffice, right?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i shred, lightly sauce and serve with more warm sauce on the side. should have way more than enough with two, it should be similar to pork with 2,5 servings per pound. if you havent cooked one its very similar to a butt with the exception that you want to take it higher in internal temp and check it at 205/210/215 until tender, i foil at 185
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • IrishDevl
    Griffin said:

Thanks everyone. So after cooking like a butt do you shred and putt back on the egg in a DO with the sauce for a bit more? Or just shred, sauce, and serve?

Since all of my cooking is usually for 2 people I have no idea how much to make. We'll have around 14 people with a couple rotisseries, sides, appetizers, etc. Two 8-10 pounders should suffice, right?

Two will be more than enough, one would probably do if you also have chickens etc...  When finished around 205, take off egg, let it rest some and shred. 
  • Thanks again everyone. I think I've got a plan now.
  • Not trying to steal the thread but reading Clay's recipe and wondering why the maple syrup?
    yep. I don't like sweet. I don't do the bacon or  the syrup. Forgot that was even on there
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Not trying to steal the thread but reading Clay's recipe and wondering why the maple syrup?
    Just a quick clarification...the recipe calls for real maple syrup.  The real stuff is not that sweet.  I mean...it's sweet...but not like Aunt Jemima or log cabin.   To be honest I don't think I have had the real stuff until I got some for another recipe on the forum.  I always had "maple flavored" syrup which is far sweeter.   The real stuff is liquid gold.  Unfortunately it is priced accordingly. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Just a quick clarification...the recipe calls for real maple syrup.  The real stuff is not that sweet.  I mean...it's sweet...but not like Aunt Jemima or log cabin.   To be honest I don't think I have had the real stuff until I got some for another recipe on the forum.  I always had "maple flavored" syrup which is far sweeter.   The real stuff is liquid gold.  Unfortunately it is priced accordingly.

Yeah I've had the real GOLD before but still Maple on beef does not appeal to me. I'll leave that out of mine. Save that GOLD for waffles or biscuits!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Some people prefer savory over sweet.  I'm one of them.  That's why I'll put the sweet sauce (like KY BBQ sauce) on the side or not put it on all the meat.  You can't un-sweeten very easily.  Just like it's easy to add salt but almost impossible to remove it.

Good quality chuck = no need for any coverup...

Poor quality chuck - put some lipstick (sweetner) on that pig

• Ok I've got a 11.5 pound chuck roast. If I remember a butt is around 2 hr/lb at 250* or 1.5 hr/lb at 300*. Am I looking at the same on the chuckie? Is there a preferred temp to cook at or anywhere in that range is fine as long as I pull at the right internal temp?
  • I've used Chuck roast after seasoning the roast with what ever you like I used the direct method to sear and smoke with red oak (good smoke) for about 1 1/2 hours, then put in a tin foil pan with a can of Swanson's beef broth along with some of your favorite BBQ sauce, some cut up onions, pressed garlic and covered up tightly for another two hours. Uncover and check for tenderness if it is not tender enough recover and go a little longer. Should be easy to pull.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Here is on one of my favorites. Use whatever peppers and beer or soda u want. http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1