Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has any used the brining recipe posted on the Big Green Egg Website?

Options

http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-turkey/

Recipe seems easy enough..  Here is my plan, I would appreciate any feedback:

1) Brine 13.3 lb turkey about 12 hours in the refigerator

2) Set up BGE at 350, plate setter legs up for indirect. Grill grate in place.  My goal is to have the grate temp in between 325-350

3) When at temp and stable, put turkey in V-rack and inside an aluminum drip pan -- set on the grate

4) Assuming about 13 min/lb cook times -- more or less just to plan out the rough time for the meal.

Thoughts?  In terms of questions: the turkey comes with that cooking plastic insert to hold the turkety together in addition to the pop up thermometer.  I was going to remove both.. and use a meat thermometer

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    looks perfect. Should be really good.. Good brine and a good cook plan. You should be all set
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thanks!

any time. Have a great Turkey day. Looks like you are going to be a rock star with that bird. Enjoy
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    After you remove from the brine rinse well, pat dry and put it back in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or more. This gives the salt and other goodies in the brine a chance to redistribute, so it's not just near the surface.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Poolman
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving to All,

I have not been on this site for a long time, but I like the brine recipe posted here back in 2003.  This was recommended by WessB, and I follow except only brine the bird for 24 hours.

2003 BGE Brine Recipe

• 2 cups brown sugar
    • 1 cup maple syrup
    • ¾ cup coarse kosher salt
    • 3 whole heads of garlic, cloves separated, not peeled
    • 6 large bay leaves
    • 1 ½   cups coarsely chopped unpeeled ginger
    • 2 teaspoons dried chile flakes
    • 1 ½   cups soy sauce
    • 3 quarts water
    • Handful of fresh thyme sprigs

Combine all the brine ingredients in an enamel or stainless steel pot.

Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let cool completely. Rinse the

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Turkey well and put in a large enamel or S.S. or food grade plastic pot or bucket.

Cover with COLD brine and add more water if needed to cover the turkey. Put a plate on top of the turkey to hold it under the brine. Refrigerate for 2-4 days, turning the bird twice a day.

Cheers,

~~~~~~~

Poolman

• JerkChicken
    Options
    I plan on doing your same set up, but in addition, I'm going to ice the breasts for 2hrs before cooking and I'm also going to start breast down on the V-rack for first 1/3rd of the cook. I'm going to use foil buffer on the V-rack rungs so I can maintain presentation minimizing indentation on the breasts.

I want the maximus juciest breasts.....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Gunsmoke
    Options
    I used the brine recipe last year and really liked it. I am switching to Alton Browns this year for no good reason. I got excellent feedback for a command performance this year. I expect the process is more important than the specific ingredients.
  • Gunsmoke
    Options
    So, seems like your basic plan is sound; keep an eye on the temp, I always cook to the low end to avoid drying out. I am going to air dry mine in the morning until noon.