Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Rub??

Any suggestions on what kind of rub to put on turkey?
Visca Barca
Mes Que Un Club

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I also had the same thoughts this morning as I start thinking about cooking the perfect turkey..... My plans are simple salt brine for 24 hours, spatchcocked indirect at 350.... As for the rub I am thinking maybe a BBQ turkey, I have some Oakridge BBQ  game bird rub.... Also thinking of using a drip pan with some apple juice, apples, and celery. Hope I can fit my ham above the turkey using my swing grate so ham dripping on the turkey......

Man I am getting hungry now..... Good luck on you choice of rubs.......

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    with the coffee rub...does it go under the skin or just over the top?
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• Rudy's Turkey Rub is the best I have ever used (http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/home)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    jrf316 said:
    with the coffee rub...does it go under the skin or just over the top?
    Over the skin. But why not under the skin??????? Just never did it that way, next time......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I used DP Red Eye on my test Turkey last week and loved it.  I think I'm going to make Mickey's coffee rub for Thursday's bird.

Here's our coffee rub. Using it on bone-in pork chops tonight and on the turkey Thursday. Love this mix.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mickey said:
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed

+1, great with turkey. We also like anything with sage in it, made for turkey.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    probably more a newengland thing, but i couldnt imagine a tday bird and stuffing without bells seasoning. its probably something you have to grow up with
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I mix equal parts of Old Bay and Garlic Salt, it always seems to be a hit. Simple and good.