Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First SC Turkey Breast...

Lesse here.. Where's the backbone again? Lol

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• Photos are not touched by filters this time -

We don't usually have fresh turkey breasts here, but the season is upon us. I used a Bull City poultry rub. Did about 400* dome and 350* grate indirect PS. Pecan chips. Water bath with my standard chipotle flakes and crushed garlic. Cooked to 165* pulled and foiled for ten minutes.

I'm convinced it could not have been more perfect. The rub was amazing. The skin was perfectly crisp. The meat was the most moist I have ever seen. For a ten buck turkey breast thus beat the hell out of chickens done like this.

imageimage
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• damn dude. look at the juices pouring out of that bird nice
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    nice bird!  do you get flavor from the water bath at all?
  • damn dude. look at the juices pouring out of that bird nice

I've never seen anything like it. Going to fire as many of these as possible before the local grocer stops stocking them...

Suggestions on how to get gravy from the drippings would be appreciated - I may siphon off the bath water.
    U_tarded said:

nice bird!  do you get flavor from the water bath at all?

IMHO the higher humidity really helps with transferring not only the spices in the bath but the smoke flavor from the wood. I use a water bath for every indirect except pizza.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Looks GREAT! Instead of a water bath, use chicken stock with two onions, skin on, two carrots and two celery stalks. Throw in 1 T thyme and another of sage and add two bay leaves. Let the breast sit on the grate directly over the pan. 

Use the liquid as the base for gravy. Save what you don't use for soup -- the smokey taste goes great with broccoli or beans. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • When you say water bath, do you mean a drip pan with water? Or is the meat in the water?
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

@masked marvel

can only hope my bird breast comes out that well....that is a winner!!!  would you do anything any different or is this the gospel for the coming week's cook...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited November 2012
    When you say water bath, do you mean a drip pan with water? Or is the meat in the water?
    Drip pan with water and spices in it...

pasoegg said:

@masked marvel

can only hope my bird breast comes out that well....that is a winner!!!  would you do anything any different or is this the gospel for the coming week's cook...

Gospel?  prolly not - I can never leave good enough alone...   8-}

I used pecan chips this cook - felt like the chips gave up on me too early in the cook.  Gonna try it again; this time with Cherry Chunks...and @jlsm 's broth bath idea...

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• I actually cut it with my cheap awesome Chinese cleaver (CACC). Ribs are still in there, yes.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• hapster said:
    Thanks to you and the gang here! I've learned more about making delicious food in the last year than I'd ever have imagined!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE