Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone here use this rib rack?

Options

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I haven't used the costplus rib rack but have used the BGE reversible many times and I'm very pleased with it.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have a Weber one that is almost identical.  Works fine for both ribs and roasts.  
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    nonstick surface = no go for me...

I have a similar one made of SS and I love it

Options
    Oh a SS one would be awesome!
  • North_Is_Up
    Options
    I have this one, too, I think. My problem is that if the baby back ribs are cut in half for smoking, the ribs are too short to reach across both sides of the rib rack and they fall through on one end. Not good for 1/2 racks. Good for everything else.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • jrog74
    jrog74 Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks North. I never thought about that. 
  • watermker
    Options
    I have rack made by BGE, used it many times. I works great
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    i too have the bge rack that is similar to this one. i have used it with good results for both ribs and roasts.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a $25 roasting pan and rack from big lots.  It's 1/8" thick aluminum....heavy.  As good as any combo that costs 2-3x more.

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/cookware-gadgets/heavy-gauge-aluminum-roaster-with-rack
    I have a couple rib racks... but have found that I can get EGG-cellent results just from throwing the ribs right on to the cooking grid itself...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I use it for ribs and I sat the turkey in it for thanksgiving. No problems here with it.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I have a similar one and it works fine.  It keeps my racks vertical and they cook better that way IMO.  I have had mine for 15 years and it has seen many racks of ribs.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    The key is how do you cook ribs. Like HillBilly says, just lay them on the grid if you have the space, otherwise you are into tiers or a vertical rack. The vertical rack almost triples the capacity on my medium, for larger cooks, would not be without it. 
    Mine is "non-stick" which I don't like, but could not find a SS that would fit. Ribs are cooked low enough and indirect that I don't worry too much about the non-stick. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • martinedward
    Options
    Personally like the SS one, but grid works just as well. Low, indirect and slow is the way to go, after the rub, wrap and three hours in the fridge, and then at about 230 deg F or so for three hours. A low  throw-away pan of apple juice on the plate-setter below the ribs dosen't hurt either. Just my humble opinion !
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Yes, for ribs, turkey, and prime rib tonight.
  • EggerInCharlotte
    Options
    +1 on Hillbilly-Hightech's comment!

Here's the thing about rib racks (IMHO);  if you are going to use a rib rack, the temp needs to be dropped and the time on the egg needs to be lowered.  The rib rack holds the ribs higher into the dome and they cook faster (and, they seem to be a smidge less juicy!)  I've done a number with the rack and always find that although they are good, they are sooo much more juicy and moist when they are right on the grid.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I only use the rib racks when I'm cooking lots of ribs. I have two stainless racks from Lowes. I've done 6 racks on my XL with room to spare by cutting the racks in half and using the rib racks.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Flyboy777
    Options
    Here's a cheap option for lots of ribs. Home Desperate carries the brand Grill Pro rib rack with drip pan for $19 here in Canader. Fit 12 full racks on the other night. Bought two and wired them together at the top to make a frame. The whole thing becomes very stable when bottom spread out and fit into stainless grill rack. 5 hours @ 250-260 1/2 an hour in foil with sauce. Amazing. Got the rub and sauce recipe off bbqpitboys.com . Just got my LBGE on Friday, put it together and have cooked 4/5 meals on it since. New to BGE and the forum. Lovin' it! FB
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Flyboy777 said:
    Here's a cheap option for lots of ribs. Home Desperate carries the brand Grill Pro rib rack with drip pan for $19 here in Canader. Fit 12 full racks on the other night. Bought two and wired them together at the top to make a frame. The whole thing becomes very stable when bottom spread out and fit into stainless grill rack. 5 hours @ 250-260 1/2 an hour in foil with sauce. Amazing. Got the rub and sauce recipe off bbqpitboys.com . Just got my LBGE on Friday, put it together and have cooked 4/5 meals on it since. New to BGE and the forum. Lovin' it! FB
    Pretty cool idea!  Looks like you could fit a small butt under the "rib tent". 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Flyboy777
    Flyboy777 Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    Options
    That's what I was thunkin' too. Or some roast some taters on there under all the drippings. FB
  • chris123stock
    Options
    I have on just like that, works better for me as a roaster, for racks cut in half, no good at all.
  • dajogejr
    dajogejr Posts: 12
    edited June 2013
    Options
  • Mooneyfwd
    Mooneyfwd Posts: 10
    Options
    I bought that same one last week, but haven't used it yet.
    Large BGE
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    8 slabs on a large...impressive.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Moose64
    Moose64 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love the rib tent idea, but I have just cooked them on the BGE grill and they come out great!!!  I have an XL, so I have cooked 4 full ones which covers up the whole grill.  I LOVE IT!!
  • Chi-Town Bengal
    Options
    My ribs always get stuck in rib rack. i may have to try a V shape roasting rack.
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    I have the BGE rack and works great for ribs and reversed for turkeys.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie