Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Braised Tri-tip steak with Red Wine Sauce

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
with caramelized onions, carrots, potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms.

Simmering in the D.O. after searing.  I bet you can just smell the aromas.

Plated for perfection.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Boy, I sure can smell that!  Your plating stinks as usual.  If you don't mind a little advice?  Dixie for everyday, Chinette for special occasions.  You can't go wrong there.

Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I see what you did there. Did you really braise a tri tip? Legitimately interested here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred,

I will NOT be bullied about not having a good picture.  75% of the forum members have said they have ZERO interest in good pictures.  This is my entry.

However, I do have a website for my family and friends that like good pictures, so I posted a better one at http://willsononline.com/bbq .  It is the last entry on the webpage.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Fred,

I will NOT be bullied about not having a good picture.  75% of the forum members have said they have ZERO interest in good pictures.  This is my entry.

However, I do have a website for my family and friends that like good pictures, so I posted a better one at http://willsononline.com/bbq .  It is the last entry on the webpage.
    Ha! funny. I believe I'm the only one that said i have ZERO interest (because when you go all caps, that means you are serious). 

Well played sir.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I see what you did there. Did you really braise a tri tip? Legitimately interested here
    Steve,
    It turned out really good.  I usually braise a chuck steak.  It has so much fat in it that it produces a broth for the simmer.  For the tri-tip, I added beef stock for the simmering.  I also added a packet of dry Lipton Onion soup, which made a very good tasting broth.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    It didn't end up stringy? I'm thinking like a flank steak here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

•  
    Fred,

I was referring to your plating which I think is a little wanting. For you photos, go with the Chinette for added class.
    Flint, Michigan
  • rgl55
    rgl55 Posts: 9
    It's really sorry that new eggers suffer from you trying to be funny
  • Village Idiot
    edited October 2012
    rgl55 said:
    I didn't know they "suffer", but I do feel their pain.  Perhaps, if you post some cooks, they can try to press on with their lives without seeking professional help.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    rgl55 said:
    How so?  It's pretty clear he is playing.  VI gives back to this forum quite a bit with his many cooks and superb pics.  His cook threads usually include recipes and noobs have learned a ton from him.  Everything is so tense around here so we all need to lighten up. :)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    VI...looking at your website "again" was a huge mistake.  I just ate dinner and now I want to be fat and am grazing to soothe my unfilled appetite.  Thanks :D

Good looking cook sir! 
  • Little Steven
    rgl55 said:
    Do you think that the more experienced guys get paid to be here? Some of us have answered the same question hundreds of times and still try to keep it positive. Y'know what, there are seldom any thanks from the
    recipients of the info. If some of us joke around then so be it, least there are no commercials. Go check out Bobby Flay for expert egg tips

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for covering my back, Caz.  I could only hope to contribute to this forum half as much as you have.   ^:)^  Same to you, L.S., or is it S.L. ?   =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• cazzy said:
    rgl55 said:
    How so?  It's pretty clear he is playing.  VI gives back to this forum quite a bit with his many cooks and superb pics.  His cook threads usually include recipes and noobs have learned a ton from him.  Everything is so tense around here so we all need to lighten up. :)

cazzy said:
    VI...looking at your website "again" was a huge mistake.  I just ate dinner and now I want to be fat and am grazing to soothe my unfilled appetite.  Thanks :D

Good looking cook sir! 

+1 and +1  Well said Cazzy!

VI - I don't think I need to say this, but I want to.  You're an artist.

Flint, Michigan
  • oh boy..........here we go.I'm glad i NEVER try to be funny. 

Lemme guess. We have a new egger from the south who has an ax to grind. Lawd Hab Moicy.

• rgl55
    rgl55 Posts: 9
    I didn't relalize you were all professionals. I ask for forgiveness and will my thoughts to myself. I was hoping to get info on how to cook this dish. Most know you eat with your eyes first, so I must be the 30% that appreciates a good photo and then some info on how you did. I apologize and this will be the last post from me. I have only had my egg less than a month and had hoped to learn more.
  • I have a headache.  I'm going to bed.  

Thanks, guys !

Rgl55, hang in there.  We all have "off" nights.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• rgl55 said:
    I didn't relalize you were all professionals. I ask for forgiveness and will my thoughts to myself. I was hoping to get info on how to cook this dish. Most know you eat with your eyes first, so I must be the 30% that appreciates a good photo and then some info on how you did. I apologize and this will be the last post from me. I have only had my egg less than a month and had hoped to learn more.
    And...scene. back to our normal programming. 

• cazzy
    edited October 2012
    Of course sir...even though I don't completely agree with your entire post. lol  

• Little Steven
    rgl55 said:
    That would probably your loss. I think if you need information then most of us would be willing to give it. Or you could spend five or six years screwing up and not know why. Heck, maybe you are way smarter than me and you will learn all the nuances in no time. No point in taking your ball and going home. Don't cost us nuthin'.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    oh boy..........here we go.I'm glad i NEVER try to be funny. 

Lemme guess. We have a new egger from the south who has an ax to grind. Lawd Hab Moicy.

Yer such a jerkwater

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• oh boy..........here we go.I'm glad i NEVER try to be funny. 

Yer such a jerkwater
    Really not trying to be and actually, I'm probably wrong. Just weird that someone would go after a founding father for being funny on their 9th post.I hope the guy stays and I'll be first in line to help if he needs it. I just got my hackles up because of all the recent shenanigans. I HATE shenanigans.

• Little Steven
    That was sorta what I tried to say. The statement about you being a jerkwater was based on some history. I could be wrong.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2012
    Sadly, you are not. I like a good ruse as much as anyone, but what is it you Canadians and your internet anger????

• Little Steven
    Just watch it pal! There is no funnin' around here. This ain't no party, this ain't no disco...this ain't no foolin' around

Steve 

Caledon, ON

What are you smiling at?  BBQ is serious business!

Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven

Fred,

I thought my stuff was pretty funny but that guy from central Texas didn't come back. Who knows? Perhaps he is afraid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    cazzy said:
    rgl55 said:

+1 He has helped me out!

rgl55 said:
    Do you think that the more experienced guys get paid to be here? Some of us have answered the same question hundreds of times and still try to keep it positive. Y'know what, there are seldom any thanks from the
    recipients of the info. If some of us joke around then so be it, least there are no commercials. Go check out Bobby Flay for expert egg tips
    Thanks!!!  :)
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Maybe he didn't appreciate your disco reference?  You can't control what others do.  I think you had it right when you said "No point in taking your ball and going home.  Don't cost us nuthin'"
    Flint, Michigan