Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven recipes and methods needed

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a 10 quart cast iron Dutch oven and am hoping that you will give me some suggestions, recipes and methods of using it in the egg.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    This book has some great recipes: 

Texas Treasury of Dutch Oven Cooking

This has been our favorite cobbler so far. 
    Addy's Peach Cobbler
    10 inch Dutch oven - Yelds 8 Servings

Fruit Filling:
    8 Cups sliced peaches, fresh or frozen
    2 Tbsp flour
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup sugar

Crust:
    1 cup flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt 
    3 Tbsp butter or margarine
    6 Tbsp milk or half and half 
    flour for cutting board 1 Tbsp cinnamon
    1 Tbsp sugar

Mix the peaches with 2 Tbsp flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the sugar a little at a time until the fruit is sweet enough for your taste. Spoon the fruit mixture into a greased Dutch oven. 

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks and add to flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter to blend flour mixture into pea-sized lumps. Add milk. Stir with a fork until all ingredients are moistened. 

Roll dough out aon a flour covered table to 1/4 inch thick. Cut Crust into shapes and place on top of the fruit mixture. Mix cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the crust. 

Bake with 1 ring of coals underneath and 2 rings of coal on lid for 30-35 minutes, 

Also this Steven Raichlen recipe for the best baked beans on the planet is pretty tasty as well:

Now that I have the two tier Swing Rack I'll probably be using it a whole lot more. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Search for Egret's Cow Lick Chili recipe! 

I did a Shepherd's pie the other day that was really easy and good.  Just find a recipe for Shep Pie.and you can set up egg direct to brown the ground beef and such; then set up indirect to bake it.  The recipe I used was a little on the "soupy" side, but it was still good.

Here is a thread while I describe it:

This was a really simple recipe, but I'm sure there are much better recipes out there!  I was just looking for "easy".  

One more fun thing I did was a "mountain man breakfast" while camping.  Something like this:

I left the top off the dutch oven and just kept the egg closed and it cooked up nicely. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Both the recipes are on my to do list. One question....while you're cooking and adding how do you keep the temp down? Bottom vent? Thanks
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I use mine as a deep fryer.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We have an entire different definition of "Dutch Oven" in my house (I have 2 teenage boys).......they are twisted (wonder where they get it?)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @centex He said for the egg. Otherwise my family goes running when I've got a blanket and a bowl of chili! Lol
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I let one rip in the parking lot after leaving the restaurant tonight and my daughter complained.  I told her I could have waited until we were in the car for the "dutch oven" effect. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    my poor wife. It's me, 2 teenage boys and a male dog. She is surrounded by fart jokes and dudes scratchin' themselves. She is a very, very patient person
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've got the opposite.  Wife, teenage daughter, 4 year old daughter and fema;e dog.  I've got to display some testosterone pride or get over-run by frilly girlie things.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    henapple said:
    Both the recipes are on my to do list. One question....while you're cooking and adding how do you keep the temp down? Bottom vent? Thanks
    That's correct- I try to set the bottom so the fire doesn't burn out of control when the dome is open.   The fire will still get hotter while the dome is open but its not too bad.  If you need to open it for a long time you can always use welders/bbq gloves and remove the DO from the egg while you add stuff. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

henapple said:

That's correct- I try to set the bottom so the fire doesn't burn out of control when the dome is open.   The fire will still get hotter while the dome is open but its not too bad.  If you need to open it for a long time you can always use welders/bbq gloves and remove the DO from the egg while you add stuff. 
    Thanks. I can't believe I got that right. Maybe I'm learning.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN