Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken tumor????

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever experienced this?  Did a basic roasted chicken (Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster).  When I started carving it, there was an egg sized green mass in the breast.  Not sure what it was, but we threw it out and went out to eat.  

Comments

• Hey TJ, good choice to go out, would've done the same. Never experienced this first hand, but did hear of something called Oregon Disease, where there is a lime green color near the breastbone. Sure sounds like what you have in your photos.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Thanks @Skiddy. Glad I threw it out. No way I was eating it, however once you cook something for a couple of hours and get the smell embedded and the anticipation of the taste, it was hard to do.
    Skiddy, thanks for the link..
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Not trying to hijack thread but this reminded me of something else....

I am a deer hunter and I sometimes process my own deer.  I was cutting a ham off a hind quarter once and trimming it up when I felt something in the muscle mass that did not feel just right.  As I began seperating the muscles in the ham I came across a large white mass.  It was just stuck there inside the muscle.  It wasn't attached with a blood supply or anything it was just stuck in there.  In fact it was very easy to sort of squish out.

Once I got it out of the muscle it was about 2" long and about 1" in diameter.and completely surrounded by a hard white substance.  I began to cut into it to discover a stick.  Evidently the deer had been stuck by a sizeable tree branch while jumping a fence or whatever and this piece had remained behind.  It had formed a protective layer around the stick much like calcium.  No harn to the meat.....but you know that had to have been painful!

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Thinking of Arnold.... "It's not a tumor!!"
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ewwwwww

I don't think I would have eaten it either, especially not knowing what it is. Better safe than sorry. Good call on going out to eat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

you did what I would have done.....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.