Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked potatoes?

Options
myronnberg
myronnberg Posts: 12
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I'm smoking some baby backs for dinner tonight and was also going to do some baked potatoes.  I'm thinking about just putting the potatoes on with the ribs but not sure how long they will take.  Temp steady at 235.  any suggestions?

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    So I'm guessing from past experience at that temp that you will need about three hours.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll poke some holes in them and beam 'em in the microwave for a few minutes to give them a head start, give them an oil and rock salt coating, then throw them in for about the last hour and a half or so. 
    Last week I cooked some steaks on a homemade Habachi I made years ago.  I cooked the steaks about 1/2 inch above the coals.  I used Stubbs 100% wood, all natural briquettes.  They burned hot and I was amazed how long the coals lasted.  We took the Habachi on a trip to the beach and it performed like a champ.  Anyway, about an hour after dinner I checked the grill and the coals were still going strong.  I brought 4 sweet potatoes that we never used, so I wrapped them in foil and tossed them right on top of the coals for about 20 minutes, flipped them over for another 15-20.  Wow!  Those puppies were like candy.  I split them open, put some butter,fresh ground cinnamon and a pinch of salt.  I never had sweet potatoes cooked in an oven taste that good.  

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I'll poke some holes in them and beam 'em in the microwave for a few minutes to give them a head start, give them an oil and rock salt coating, then throw them in for about the last hour and a half or so. 
    I normally do them at 350 to 400 until they hit 215 degrees.  I think your idea to microwave first up to about 170 degrees would get you close with another hour and a half at 235.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Tjcoley talked about a"Pig in a Poke" a few days ago.  We made them & they were delicious!  They aren't smoked potatoes because they're wrapped in foil, but it's a good solid potato dish.

You take an apple corer and make a hole through a potato.  We put a little rub in the hole.  Next insert a sausage link you pre-cooked and wrap the whole thing in foil.  I cooked mine in my Weber kettle because I'm trying to burn up the Kingsford I got stored. 

I'm a techno-dunce so I haven't bothered with the chore of figuring out how to post pix.  So I guess this never happened.  Never mind.

Thanks TJ!  Seriously good!  

Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Fred, glad you enjoyed them. Funny story, I asked my 5 siblings if they remember how exactly they were made and none of them even remember eating them. They all thought I was nuts. I think I'm the only one who's memory isn't fading.
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Couple months ago Cook's Illustrated did a pretty elaborate experiment with oven french fries.  I've been experimenting with the recipe in a basket on the Egg, but haven't yet got something to come out like I want.  
    Agree, "smoked potatoes" could be SO good, I just haven't found the right way to do it yet.  Stay tuned...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lakewade
    Options
    This.  Though I usually cook them almost all the way in the microwave and then finish them on the egg (20-30 mins)...just to get them a little 'eggy'...

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Favorite baked potatoes are russet's, cut an 'X' in them, place a pat of butter over the cut, salt liberally then wrap in foil. Place as close to the coals as you can, or even directly on the coals. Turn once or twice and cook for about 30 - 45 minutes. The skin is the best part. Turns out all black and buttery and delicious.