Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Make it last longer

Options
cwagz
cwagz Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in Pork

Smoke that is...Got a "pro tip" from the dealer that sold me my egg. He takes a wood chunk, wraps in foil, pokes a few pin size holes in the foil and claims that you'll get a longer smoke. Anyone confirm or deny this???

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Confirmed.  It burns slower.  It also makes a little wood go a long way.  You get more creosote out of the same amount of wood because it's undergoing pyrolysis - heating without much oxygen.   Versus heating with lots of oxygen, where the most of the creosote burns.  If it works and you like the results, you got another technique you can use.
    Options
    It also limits how much smoke you have during the cook.  I can't imagine there would be enough smoke from a few pinholes to provide enough "flavor".

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    May be a good idea, sounds like a carry over to the pellet smoke packets, double fold some foil to form a pouch, throw a handful of flavoured pellets in the pouch, close the foil, punch a small hole or two and put the pouch on the rocks/flavour bar right above the flame. The classic method for a gasser where you can't regulate the oxygen, it must be hot enough to get the pellets smoking, but cool enough they don't flare, so limit oxygen by putting the pellets in a pouch. By spreading out my wood chips/chunks, I've never run out of smoke, flares only if the dome is open. Always worth a try, learn something everyday. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I used to use chips in foil with my gasser.  I'd just throw the foil pack over one of the burners.