Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggstatic with the Pergola

2»

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Plano_JJ said:

Really nice setup and backyard, what is the lowdown on those solar lights?

Thanks we love it. The solar lights are great, there is a small collector that we stuck above the back of the pergola. Two lights on the front so you can see the step

and one pointed at the egg. 

Now while they give plenty of light to grill and read your thermapen, its not bright enough for pictures. (If that is something you want to think about) I don't remember the brand or power but can dig it out and post a link if you would like. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Would love to have a link, thanks. So I assume that during the day they gather power so you can use them at night?

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    @solson005 these pictures are perfect, I was just curious to see a close up and the inside. Thanks so much for the fast reply!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Nice cart.  is that made to be left in the "Elements"?  I need a storage cart/counter space for my Egg and all the junk I have for it.  It would be open to the weather and needs to be waterproof.  It would also be on my wooden deck where we have our outdoor tables and I want it to look nice.

Garnerville, NY
  • Solson005
    Plano_JJ said:

Would love to have a link, thanks. So I assume that during the day they gather power so you can use them at night?

Yes so you need to be able to get sunlight on the panel. I got them at Lowes Its a nice cheap option without having to tap into power. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Solson005
    robnybbq said:
    Nice cart.  is that made to be left in the "Elements"?  I need a storage cart/counter space for my Egg and all the junk I have for it.  It would be open to the weather and needs to be waterproof.  It would also be on my wooden deck where we have our outdoor tables and I want it to look nice.
    Sure you could leave it outside we just roll it against the house to free up space on the patio but its made with the same stuff we used for the pergola. It requires maintenance every so often to keep the color and waterproofing but will look nice for years. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Solson, is your patio dry laid or in mortar? Do it yourslef or contract out?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    @Chubbs dry laid with mortar around the edges and the steps, and a sand mixture between the rest. Some washed along side the house during a heavy rain but we were able to sweep it up and put it back. We contracted it out, as they got it done in a couple days and it probably would have taken us many back breaking days off, nights, and weekends. Everything else we built. 
  • robnybbq
    How do you keep the water out of going through the top (between the planks)?

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    robnybbq said:
    c'mon, everyone knows that's the job of the bank o leafblowers ;)
    Solson005 said:
    Plano_JJ said:

Yes so you need to be able to get sunlight on the panel. I got them at Lowes Its a nice cheap option without having to tap into power.
    Cool, what is the brand name (Sola?) and how many can run off that panel?
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq said:

This was about the cart.  But kind of funny about the Pergola.

Garnerville, NY
  • Solson005

Plano_JJ said:
    Solson005 said:
    Plano_JJ said:

Portfoilio is the brand and it came as a 3 pack so it might only be enough to power those.
  • Solson005
    robnybbq said:
    robnybbq said:

This was about the cart.  But kind of funny about the Pergola.
    If water leaking from the top is a concern you could put epoxy and a couple layers of spar varnish or go with a stone top or concrete top. We just made a simple cabinet to hold all the egg stuff piling up and don't get much snow / bad weather (other than wind, which is why we had room to build the pergola in the first place)  Making it a bit more weatherproof wouldn't take much. 
  • robnybbq
    Hmm - a Stone top - Maybe I'll have to stop by some stone yards to see if they have any scrap pieces for a top.  Looks like I also have to buy a Mitre Saw and some wood this weekend.  Too much Egg stuff laying around the kitchen, living room, deck and garage.

Garnerville, NY
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    @robnybbq I know what you mean, I have a place for everything then I see a cook on here and go buy a eggcessory, then remember it has to find a home when not in use. Good luck finding stone, a cutout for a big farm sink or stovetop might even be enough. Post some pics in the table forum if you want as I'm sure other eggheads are having the same space issue and I think this is a good solution. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Solson005 said:

Plano_JJ said:
    Solson005 said:
    Plano_JJ said:

Portfoilio is the brand and it came as a 3 pack so it might only be enough to power those.
    I found the lights on Lowe's website. Did they come with that surface mount or did you have to buy that separate?
  • Solson005
    @Plano_JJ I made the mounts using old landscaping lights we weren't using anymore. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Almost looks like a microphone base. I will have to see what I find.
  • Solson005
    Plano_JJ said:
    Almost looks like a microphone base. I will have to see what I find.

Here is two close up pictures, hopefully it helps.

• Solson005
    Funny these two pictures looked like different angles when I was taking them in the rain this afternoon and posted from a old laptop. My MacBook was getting tweaked at the apple store. This forum viewing and posting is much easier from a Mac..
  • Plano_JJ
    Thanks for those great pictures man, gonna check at HD and Lowes this weekend.
  • Solson005
    @Plano_JJ anytime, your gazebo is going to be quite the area for your egg! 
  • Plano_JJ
    Thanks, I'm getting excited about it. They are forming up for the concrete as we speak. Concrete comes at noon. I'll get some pics later or in the morning. BTW, your backyard looks awesome. I'm slowly getting ours fixed up.
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    We found a new fountain and decided it complemented the Big Green Egg Pergola/ Patio area. We got it all installed yesterday are pretty pleased with the overall look. 

• Looks like it was made for an egg! Just need a hammock and I'd never leave that area!

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    @MrCookingNurse the stand that the skeleton is hanging from is actually for a hammock swing, except in October where skully takes over. Its perfect for watching the egg work.. cooking. 

• Man. That is a sweet setup.

=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Thanks @MrCookingNurse we love it! Especially since oklahoma hasn't had much of a winter in the past couple of years.