Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CDN TCT572 is not a Thermapen replacement

Options
Skiddymarker
Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
My Thermapen disappeared, a pox on whoever took it. Looking for a replacement, I found the recently offered CDN TCT572. CDN is a great company with a good reputation, well good as far as I am concerned, being the owner of one of their digitals, DTQ450X. I ordered one of the new folding therma-couple thermometers that has some great features above and beyond the Thermapen, positive on/off, last maximum, last minimum, easy to calibrate, etc... Also the price was right at $71 and with a 5 year warranty and free shipping, it seemed like a good buy. 
Took delivery last week and it is not a replacement for a thermapen. My less than $20 DTQ450X is faster. Although advertised as a three second response, a boiling water test takes at least 10 seconds to run from room to 210F. CDN advised they are covering all purchases under warranty and will replace the unit at a later date or return it to where it was purchased. They are in a redesign mode I think, and plan to have a new model available sometime in the next few months. 
I could not get a guarantee that the 3 second response, like Thermapen, would be part of the product offering. I elected to get a refund which the reseller agreed to. 
Take heed before you purchase this unit. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments