Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Nest or Paver Stone

Options
pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I am not even a new Egghead yet, as my egg is still sitting in the box while I am having a table built for it.

Seen lots of people with pavers under the egg, is it better with that or the table nest?  I know airflow around the egg is important just wasn't sure if its "AS" important underneath it.

And for the life of me I can't find a single website to order the table nest?  Any ideas?  And my two local vendors don't carry it.

And final question (For today :)    If I do the table nest, should I still do a paver below it?

Thanks
Scott K
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    The nest is relatively new so your dealers may not be aware of it yet. Go on the website and find the part number and they should be able to order it for you.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Folks used pavers because the table nest did not yet exist.  I've seen at least one person build their own metal table nest, and my Egg sits on a variation of that (will post pics this weekend). 

So long story short - if you can get the table nest, and can accommodate it into the design of your table, that's what I would do. 

And no, I don't think you also need a paver if you're using the table nest - unless you really want to - but it's overkill. 

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I'd do something for airflow. My own two cents, I use yard bricks in a triangle it supports and leaves airflow.

XLBGE 
  • ugafan
    ugafan Posts: 4
    Options
    The local stone yard had a broken PA blue stone tread.  They made one cut to spec (24"x18") and it looks and works great.  The nice part about that using a tread is that it was already finished on three sides and the fresh cut made is smooth all the way around.  It's 1 1/2 - 2" thick so burning through the table is not much of a concern...  Come to think of it, I need to post pictures of my table soon.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I have a table nest for my medium, ordered it from All things BBQ, https://www.atbbq.com/, Great folks, they shipped same day to a US address for me, with my Canadian billing address. Wait time from both my Washington State dealer or the Canadian source was 6 to 8 weeks.  
    The table nest (medium) has holes in two of the legs. This is to screw the nest and egg to the table or whatever it is sitting on. The egg sits on this nest, it is not a "spring" tight fit like the regular raised nests. 
    A paver is not required, the nest raises the egg almost 2". Lots of airflow. 
    A surprise was how easy it is too clean the egg using a table nest. A standard dustpan, with less than 10" mouth will fit between the legs and under the supported egg, rather than using one of the $20+ egg shaped pans. Just rake the ash out, no more vacuuming the paver. 
    When I first opened the box, I felt a little ripped off given it is two bent pieces of metal with a single bolt and nut for $25, but it works and the fit and finish are excellent.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!