Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grid question

Options
Grambler
Grambler Posts: 153
edited August 2012 in Using the Egg
Im fairly new to the Egg world and I am looking to do a spatchcock chicken tonight. Many folks say they do raised grid and direct cooking. How do you raise your grid and why? I don't have a second grid yet to accommodate stacking them. Can I just use my plate setter or will that not give enough smoke. Thanks!

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The grid in a standard egg sits on the fire ring, about 3 to 4 inches over the lump. The grid is about 4 inches below the gasket rim or upper edge of the base. If you raise the grid to the level of the rim, instead of only four inches, your grid is now 8 inches above the lump. Like any BBQ, the further from the heat, the less chance of burning the cook. 
    Two ways to do a split bird, direct on a raised grid or indirect using the plate setter legs up. Although this is an old post, if you are new at it, suggest you cook indirect, using the setter for your first few birds. Depending on the size of your egg, there are a number of ways to raise the grid. Empty beer cans, bolts and washers, pieces of fire brick, or buy suitable device.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!